GO!

Flatulence issues

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Amazing- Grace

Is it toy time- yet?

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 11:21am PST 
Grace is a very gassy girl. She was eating pedigree small bites when I first got her, but now she eats purina one beyond lamb and barley. She farts all the time, no matter what she eats, but never seems to have any other GI issues? Are Bostons just gassy dogs? Does it have to do with the fact that she bolts her food and probably takes in a bit of air with it?
[notify]
Envy

Being a sinner- is so much fun

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 7:25am PST 
Yes, from what I have heard and researched Boston's can be prone to being gassy. I haven't brought my little girl home just yet, so i'm not sure if Envy is a gassy girl, but it does run in the breed apparently.

Have you tried feeding her more than once a day to see if that helps any?
[notify]
Amazing- Grace

Is it toy time- yet?

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 6:54am PST 
I asked a friend who used to have a Boston, and he told me that they fart because they take in air when they eat. I'm used to it now, most of the time I think it's funny, but not when they stink!
[notify]

Envy

Being a sinner- is so much fun

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 3:40pm PST 
I think that's only half the reason, I know brachycephalic dogs do tend to take in more air when they eat than non brachy dogs do, but I also know that Bostons can have finicky stomachs as well which I think add's to it.

This is one of the things I am dreading when I finally get to bring Envy home lol.
[notify]
Lucy Belle

The Pogo Stick

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 10:32am PST 
My BT never has gas anymore. I attribute this to two things. One, I feed her a high quality, grain-free food called Taste of the Wild. Two, I give her a product called Gentle Digest. When you first start giving it, you give it once a day for 2 weeks. After this time period, you can give it to your BT 1-2 times a week. My BT had horrible gas when I first rescued her, but she had been on a poor quality food. Once she started eating high quality, grain-free food, the gas diminished a lot, but the Gentle Digest eliminated it. You can buy Gentle Digest at Amazon.com and pet supply stores.
[notify]
Baxter

HAPPY HAPPY- HAPPY

Barked: Sun May 5, '13 6:55pm PST 
Yeah, feeding a good quality food really helps. I started feeding my boy a grain free food that has fish (like salmon, whitefish and whatnot) and it makes him stink a little less. I also heard that elevated food bowls help with the air intake while they're eating. I haven't tried it myself, but I don't worry too much about his gas. When I first got Baxter I thought he had some sort of digestion issue, but I found out from an episode of Dogs 101 that farts just come with the breed
[notify]