GO!

Border Collie Aggression/biting

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  
Jackson

Christmas Eve- Baby

Barked: Tue Nov 25, '08 3:24am PST 
I agree. Biting and gripping is unacceptable behavior but also a somewhat common incident when young children and Border Collie's mix. Since Chauncy's guardians were fully aware of a previous bite to a child, he never should have been permitted to interact with such a young child unsupervised and also in such a stimulated environment. I also agree that this incident, while serious and very unfortunate, is not aggression or resource guarding, but a stimulated and frustrated Border Collie reacting to the situation at hand. He wasn't trained to know how to act or the alternative to nipping/biting.

It's best for Chauncy and all concerned that his owners locate a local trainer with a solid behavioral modification track record and get an evaluation. A local Border Collie rescue or similar organization might also be a great resource.

Jackson
[notify]
Oliver PAWS

<3s tennis- balls, peanut- butter, & Fling

Barked: Thu Nov 27, '08 12:25pm PST 
I want to include Oliver can go a bit over board and after I've played with him fur a while he gets really excited easily. So say I throw the ball and intend to catch it, he doesn't know and lunges fur the ball. If he bit me it wasn't his intention he thought I threw it with him.

Also to remember is their teeth are really sharp. Wrestling with Oliver he has ripped a hole (a small hole) in new jeans. Again he didn't pull and he didn't lunge I started the wrestling and after he did that I stopped it. He understood that he shouldn't have ripped my jeans, and I could tell he didn't mean too.

I would first keep him on leash around small children. Only allow small children around him when everything is calm. Taking that extra step plus training when he stays calm around them will help him a lot. Thhe muzzle is a lazy way to aviod the situation not fix it.
[notify]
Maddie

Frisbee is life

Barked: Wed Dec 10, '08 7:30pm PST 
I don't have too much to add, since there has been a lot of good advice given, I just wanted to give my two cents.

On the kid issue, I believe BC's get a bad name and that the breed is not actually inherently bad with kids. I took two of my dogs Maddie my oldest bitch and Wylie my young and hyperactive male to visit my niece and nephew, both of which are mildly autistic.

With no training around young kids to fall back on, both dogs adapted beautifully and adored those kids. Even with the random screaming that comes out of the youngest child, there was no hint of nipping or aggression. With my nephew rolling all over the floor screaming, Wylie's reaction was to lie down beside him and put his paws on his chest while licking his face.

I don't believe I have some kind of special saintly dogs, I believe that it's all about training. My dogs can play with rabbits, birds, kittens, sheep or anything else I throw at them and they KNOW that they are not allowed to be rough.

With the way you describe what happened, I don't think the dog is aggressive and/or dominant either. It's complete lack of understanding that with smaller people/animals he has to be gentle. Wylie is very possessive of the ball when we are playing and sometimes he snaps at the ball when I'm trying to pick it up, but that same dog is the one who I take to work to play with puppies. I work for a kennel that breeds Labs and he is the local puppy sitter lol. He's also the favourite of the two little kids I babysit and who love to take my dogs out to play.

So I guess what I'm saying is that these are smart dogs, they learn fast and they know the difference between right and wrong once they've been taught. Wylie would never in a million years bite anyone even though he is very much the stereotypical hyperactive BC. There is a good chance Chauncy can be the same if given the training he needs. Good luck and keep up updated smile
[notify]

Misty

Misty "Moo Cow"

Barked: Thu Jan 15, '09 4:55pm PST 
Well, it's obvious that Chauncy isn't familiar w/ small children. You have to watch all dogs (in my opinion) w/ small children, especially if they're not around them enough. Chauncy could be showing signs of aggression too, because of his home situation. The farmer we got Misty from wouldn't even sell his dogs to anyone who lived in an apt., they had to have a yard for his dogs. Chauncy needs excersize and LOTS of it. Also, needs to be brought around small children (on a leash) and introduced to them just like you would with another dog. The more exposure around young kids, the better I believe Chauncy will behave around them. But it's obvious this poor boy isn't getting what a true BC needs and that's lots of attention and lots of activity! Good Luck, and hope the little girl doesn't need anymore surgery and is fine!
[notify]
Chauncy

I'll get it!

Barked: Fri Feb 20, '09 2:35pm PST 
To update. My niece hasn't required any further surgery. She has a small scar on her upper lip, but not very noticeable. She is however, now afraid and very wary of dogs (small wonder). Her family is addressing her issues in appropriate ways.
Chauncy's situation has not changed, as yet, my brother is working hard to get his house built. They should be able to move in by late April or May. Chauncy will then have more room to run.
In the meantime, my brother's GF's son has had an addition to his family...a new baby. I don't know if Chauncy has been introduced to the baby yet, but I'm thinking that she should keep Chauncy away for right now, since they haven't gotten any further help for the dog.
What do you think?
[notify]
Dandelion

helloooo....! - i\'m TALKING to- you!!!!!

Barked: Sun Mar 15, '09 9:31am PST 
i think poor chauncy is going out of his mind trying to manage "his" sheeple.

i have a bc puppy and a 2yr old. and yeah, the nipping's an ongoing process.

my own "bite" (not really) story: i was playing tug with dandy using the remnants of his stuffed bunny, the one he'd had since he left his mother. i was sitting on the floor (if i stand up, he drops the tug toy immediately and there's no game) when the bunny's ear ripped off. dandy lunged after the rest of the toy but because it was rebounding into my face, he got me real good on the chin - no blood but it hurt for two days and left a good series of reddish-purple blood blisters.

i yelped and dandy immediately bellied out on the floor in front of me, basically trying to embed himself into the lino. the bunny was on the floor and he picked it up, then dropped it into my lap, then proceeded to lick and lick and lick at my chin and face.

i didn't scold him - totally unnecessary, as he was doing a good enough job for himself - but did the "disdainful, aloof" thing until things were calmer, then picked up the toy and put it up on the bookshelf for the rest of the day.

the little girl wasn't "attacked" - had it been an actual "attack", she'd not have had a face or, more probably, a throat.

those owners need to wise up and FAST because disaster is looming and it's chauncy who'll pay the ultimate price.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 9:49am PST 
Hi I. Have two BC the older one is a bitch. She has nipped my 3yr old grandson and left two marks on his face. She was sat having a stoke of my daughter when my grandson grabbed her round neck for a cuddle. Today I have a soft muzzle which goes on when he is round. I was cuddling her when he came over for a cuddle. She snapped at him but cos had a muzzle on didn't mark his face. I gave her a good telling of. I didn't hit her as I don't think it's right. I shook her and told her of. She submitted. Not sure if I should get her a full muzzle. One which covers her snout. But worried she won't b able to drink. If anyone has any ideas.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 1:34am PST 
Our first BC didnt like kids then we had 2

!She never hurt either as we did not let them get close enough to her to have any accidents.She did nip a boy at a party as he was throwing a ball for her and held it into his body so she jumped to grab it and nipped some flesh!
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 6:39am PST 
Zombie thread, responding to the last 2 posts above me.

Border Collies are a working breed of dog. They tend to be more "serious" than your typical say Labrador or any other "family" type dog.
I have yet to meet one that puts up well with the foolishness of children.

Guest 1: I would NOT recommend a muzzle in this situation. What I would do is either confine your BC while the grandkids are over, or teach the grandson that grabbing at dogs is inappropriate.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jun 25, '13 3:50pm PST 
I own a beautiful pure breed female Border Collie. She is 2 years old and she started to have bad manners recently. I already had an australian Shepperd for 10 years before and I had to put him to sleep because he had bitten an friend on the nose. What a sad thing!... I thought at that time that it was a personal problem of the dog. Now I have that Border Collie who has everything a Border Collie coul dream about. Big land, Free, but sleep inside. etc. And then she gave me a bitten kiss 2 weeks ago. I sermoned her for that. Today, she bited the face of a 3 yo kid. I was completely down.! My question is that, maybe the shepperd dogs have this problem. They want everything good for the family and don't tolerate any other members. In the 2 cases, the accident happened when humans went to them. Like if, the dogs feeled they had to protect something. I don't know much but I feel things. So be careful with those dog brands. Don't let kids or even adults go and play too close with dogs. It is an animal not a human being. We should think for them. And put them to sleep is not a solution. At all! I did it and I still regret it, 4 years after.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2