GO!

intresting in getting a Boerboel puppy would like experinced owners opnions of my reasons

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Charlie

Barked: Mon Sep 2, '13 2:47pm PST 
I recently has a very scary experience of a break in while I was home, alone I live far away from family and friends for now (having to do with finishing up my MD) I am small female, 125 pounds I am active and enjoy out door activities I have grown up and had dogs my whole life large breeds,small breeds but never a breed as specific in it's role as a guard dog as this (I've had Shepard mixes, etc) . I have a couple questions for those that have/had this breed.
1. Will this dog if raised from a puppy accept my two year old male rescue as part of the pack?, my rescue is a sweet dog but def. no guard dog 2. Will I have to special train him to teach him to defend me, if say for example I was attacked in the park at night? (I run at night with my dog) I don't wish to teach my dog to be aggressive I am a active person and want to be able to take my dog to parks beaches, hiking with me off leash is this possible with this breed? how are they with children? I have two young nieces and nephews are they tolerant and protective of children? Thanks any input will be great
[notify]

Barked: Fri Sep 27, '13 3:39pm PST 
1) First, did you see a Boerboel in person? Its a huge dog likely to weigh much more then you do. Controlling him physically may be a challenge.
2) Any dog needs to be trained to become a guard dog. I am not sure you need a real guard dog. It takes months (even years) to train it and it will be very expensive!
3) You probably want an alert watchdog, one that will protect and deter potential attackers. Many breeds and mixed dogs are suitable for this mission.
4) Most dogs will be OK with an older dog if you raise them together, though some are prone to same sex aggression. It is wise to choose a dog of the opposite sex.
5) As said, you may look at many breeds, preferably smaller then Boerboels. Boxers, Dobermans, Australian Cattle Dogs, Shepherds, Pitbulls will like to run at your side and bark when someone gets into the house.
Good Luck
[notify]

Barked: Fri Sep 27, '13 3:44pm PST 
1) First, did you see a Boerboel in person? Its a huge dog likely to weigh much more then you do. Controlling him physically may be a challenge.
2) Any dog needs to be trained to become a guard dog. I am not sure you need a real guard dog. It takes months (even years) to train it and it will be very expensive!
3) You probably want an alert watchdog, one that will protect and deter potential attackers. Many breeds and mixed dogs are suitable for this mission.
4) Most dogs will be OK with an older dog if you raise them together, though some are prone to same sex aggression. It is wise to choose a dog of the opposite sex.
5) As said, you may look at many breeds, preferably smaller then Boerboels. Boxers, Dobermans, Australian Cattle Dogs, Shepherds, Pitbulls will like to run at your side and bark when someone gets into the house.
Good Luck
[notify]

Barked: Wed Oct 9, '13 2:49pm PST 
Hi Charlie.
First I would like to say Research, research, research. And talk to breeders. These dogs are not a walk in the park. They are stubborn, aloof and very protective and test you. This breed needs A LOT of training and socializing to every situation possible. You said you like running. You have to remember this is a slow maturing breed, you will not be able to do hard run's with a Boerboel until it is at least two years old. And mentally and physically they don't mature until they hit around three years old. Same sex dog aggression and DA is common in the breed. Boerboel's can have a high prey drive.

If you are just looking for a deterrent, get a black dog or something easier, these dogs are no joke and take a lot of work.

But good luck. If you have any questions feel free to ask smile
[notify]