GO!

Blue Heeler and cats

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Sun Apr 29, '12 9:57am PST 
Hello all
Just had a question about Blue Heelers and cats.
I have a 4 your old Heeler and my girlfriend has an adult cat. My girlfriend is going to move in. She brought the cat over once and the dog barked and wined like crazy and the cat was scared to death. I had the dog locked in the kitchen with a gate and the cat was in the livingroom with my girlfriend. The dog useually likes to chase everything that moves and he has gone after a few rabbits but was not able to catch them. Not to sure what he would have done if he did. My guess is that he would have torn it to shreads. He also gets agressive toword people that are affraid of him. Some times he gets kind of crazy with other dogs but he will useually just run up to them and sniff then walk away. Dont think he will do that with the cat though. Any thoughts on this? Is it posible that he will get use to the cat? Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ken
[notify]

Barked: Mon Aug 5, '13 5:14pm PST 
I have a Blue Heeler (Gus), that has been with me for a little over 8 years. He just turned 10, on July 25, 2013. He has been around cats for the past 5 years, and pays no attention to them, unless they run. I think it becomes a game, to him. If a cat walks past him, he pays no attention, whatsoever. If the cat meows loudly, Gus goes into a frenzy, tries to locate where the cat is, and then will run over, and make sure the cat isn't hurt. Doesn't bark, or bite at the cat, just kinda "hovers" over him, to make sure he isn't hurt. He'll also do this, if a cat meows, or "yowls" on the TV. It's really funny then, because he usually can't find where the noise is coming from! On a side note, I got him from the Humane Society, when he was 21 months old. During the first month he was with me, he caught a baby rabbit, and brought it to me. I thought sure it was dead, but I guess Gus knew the bunny was in trouble, and had gently picked it up, and brought it to my feet. I was completely amazed!! Best dog I've ever been around, and that covers close to 60 years. Hope this helps!!
[notify]

Barked: Mon Oct 28, '13 8:59pm PST 
My blue heeler was never 'human aggressive', but absolutely aggressive toward other animals, whatever the kind. She grew up with 2 other dogs and never any problems. She did have problems with her knees (torn tendons) and needed to have both repaired about a year apart. She also developed arthritis in hips and knees. But through all this she was a very active, alert, loving pup for all of her 20 and a half years. When she did start suffering and medication not helping as much as it should, God called her home and I was very fortunate to be with her. Even with all her pain, she still didn't want to leave. We've had lots of dogs, (all 'found' by my kids), but she was something special. When my grandkids started arriving, you'd think they were hers. little angel
[notify]