GO!

A Little Tooooo Friendly?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Joe

Devil Dog

Barked: Thu Mar 25, '10 11:01pm PST 
I've been having a lot of issues with my Joe when we have people over. He jumps and licks and bites playfully from the second they walk in, to the last minute they are here. He's so sweet and friendly, but it's becomming too much...to the point where I have to lock him in the bedroom. He's not getting a whole lot of activity in the day, my husband is a Marine, and I work two jobs, so we are rarely home. I'm thinking that his lack of activity may be why he acts like this when a new person comes over. It's embarassing, but more than anything, I'm not sure how to discipline Joe the proper way. Bopping him on the nose just won't do it anymore. Any suggestions?
[notify]
Della

Part Gator

Barked: Fri Mar 26, '10 11:05am PST 
First I want to say that this is partially due to the breed. They tend to be very hyper and nip and jump if not taught that it is not accepted.

My heeler is 1.5 yrs and she still will do this to daddy every night he comes in from work, even though she has lots of playing during the day. She like most heelers just get excited. We spoke with our vet and he has told us one word commands are best for her, also that we should say it stern but not mean or raising our voice. We do "claim" the area near the door with her and that does help some too.

You could use a word like back or down but you will have to work with them until they get it completely. This can take a while as it has with my heeler. She still gets excited every time she hears or thinks she hears someone coming to the door.

Hope this helps!
[notify]
kai

why are they not- all bowing?

Barked: Sun Mar 28, '10 6:51am PST 
An ACD (Heeler) left all day is a bundle of energy waiting to bust open. Have you thought about doggy daycare a couple days a week to give your pup a little more energy release? I suggest when you do have people over don't exclude your pup, no way to learn if you don't have experience. But do leash the dog when you have guests so it is easier to keep all 4 on the floor and reward calm behavior. Try to arrange visits from some dog loving friends that can be spent soley on showing the dog that calm behavior gets treats and love and obnoxious behavior gets total ignoring. No yelling, no constant reprimand, just a turned back by the guest and you gently reeling in the leash and a 'down' command, then start again in a minute with praise love and treats for calm behavior. Your smart breed should not take long to get the picture but it will take multiple encounters to reinforce the idea.
[notify]

Lacie

Queen of this- house

Barked: Thu Jul 22, '10 5:18pm PST 
Lacie was like that when she was two but we learned what she also liked to do to burn her energy. Shell be four next month and she has recently helped me on catching my horse cause we recently tried getting a saddle on her and she spooked bad. Lacie was the one who went with me out to the pasture and my horse would come to me with lacie standing by my side their kind of budddies so they trust each other. point is as they start maturing they start calming down Lacie has days wheres she goes crazy but mostly its days that she stays by my side walking in the pasture and a good game of catch. Find a game he really enjoys and when your home play it with him
[notify]
Morgan

Barked: Wed Sep 8, '10 9:58am PST 
I have a blue heeler mix and she is the same way. Jumps up and licks faces and just won't settle down. I do think exercise is going to be your key. I have started taking my dog to Doggie Day Care 1 or 2 days a week and that has made her much more mellow. You have to be sure the day care is one where the dogs get a lot of play time and interaction. I would also be interested to hear of any ways to discipline this problem and it is such a happy friendly behavior, it feels wrong telling her it is wrong.
[notify]