GO!

New and hoping for suggestions!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Gus

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '07 5:36pm PST 
Hi all. My husband and I own two registered BMCs. Our male, Gus, is one year old, and from Ladner's lines. We've had him since he was 6 weeks old. Our female, Daisy, is just over a year old, and we just got her this summer.

We've been having some aggression problems with Gus lately, and I was hoping someone here could offer some suggestions. Gus is fine around my husband, myself, and our four year old daughter. Unfortunately, he's been snapping at strangers. Our trainer calls it "fear aggression", and anytime someone reaches toward him while he's in our yard or house, he snaps at them. He also does it if he's tied up (say at a relative's house or in the back of the truck). Luckily he hasn't broken the skin yet, but he has bitten the hands of a few people who stuck their hand over/through our fence, including a child. It doesn't matter if we're there or not...he does not like people reaching toward him.

Is anyone having similar issues with their BMCs? We're trying to break him of this because we don't want anyone getting hurt (or any lawsuits), but I'm wondering if it's just his nature. Any feedback here would be great! Thanks!
[notify]
JerryLee

Lord of the- manor,master of- the woods.

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '07 9:58am PST 
Hi Gus & family, I have an aggression(towards humans)problem with JerryLee. I have been told to consult with a behaviorist. So far, I haven't found one. I am not qualified to give you any advice...but his behavior doesn't sound like fear aggression to me. JerryLee has bitten several people, including family members. Like you, I'm becoming terrified of the prospect of a lawsuit. J.L.'s aggression seems to be triggered by prolonged eye contact. He percieves it as a threat. When people come around I tell them "Do not pet the dog and do not make eye contact." I know this is not a cure, only a temporary stop-gap. We are a work in progress! This doesn't seem to be a breed specific trait. The other BMC (on Dogster) families I have been in communication with don't seem to have this problem. I know this hasn't been much help...just wanted to let you know you're not the "lone ranger"! Woof! JerryLee & his momma
[notify]
Riley-going to Petster.

Maybe Petster- will be nicer to- me

Barked: Thu Apr 17, '08 5:44pm PST 
Hmm...well this is delayed,but I do believe BMC's do have a protective tendency with their owners. Riley is like that too. With me and Nana,he is the sweetest dog,but he is very reserved around strangers. He's never snapped at anybody,thank the Lord,but I think since I've been taking him for a walk every day that his problems have gotten better. If you don't take Gus for walks,that is a VERY good tool to overcome problems,another good tool is to let calm people come around him and pet him,but just be cautious.
I hope I helped a little bit,but I do suggest a walk every day if possible and that will most likely help Gus' aggression

Good Luck with him!wink
[notify]

Gus

Barked: Sun May 4, '08 8:27am PST 
Thanks, guys. Unfortunately, we were unable to solve this problem, and since we have children around, we didn't want to take any chances. We found Gus a new home in January, and by all reports he's doing well with his new family and learning to hunt a little. We miss him, but we know it was for the best.
[notify]