GO!

Is a Black and Tan Coonhound a good fit for me???

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

moose

I trip over my- own four feet

Barked: Sun Mar 21, '10 1:13am PST 
I am currently taking care of a month old coonhound Moose who was the runt of the litter and the mom rejected him. Originally, I was just going to nurse him back to health and give him back to be sold . . . but I have become rather attached. My beloved cat was killed the beginning of Feb. and I feel like maybe Moose was sent to me to help me move on from the loss.

My main concerns are how trainable are coonhounds? I know that I have to achieve dominance and have a lot of patience . . . but be honest . . . when it comes right down to it is a coonhound ever going to be a good dog to leash train without him trying to get away from me if he catches a juicy sent trail???

I have a fenced in, fairly large back yard . . . but I have read that I can't even keep him out there unsupervised because he would be able to get out fairly easy. So would I need to chain him up . . . . that would make me feel so bad . . . whats the point of a fenced in back yard if hes still chained up like a little outlaw.

If he is trainable and able to be leash trained I'd take him for a walk every morning . . and then run him around the back yard and play with him. Would this be enough exercise to keep him happy??

I do have to work but there are always people at my house and I'm sure that he wouldn't be left alone for too long . . . I know that if they are left alone it stressed them out because they want to be a part of the pact all the time.

I've been really researching and a lot of the stuff is sending mixed signals . . . some say they are good to walk . . . others say they are not. It's so back and forth I thought if I got the opinion of people who actually own one.

BTW I don't plan on hunting with him . . . but would be interested in using his tracking skills for other reasons to keep him happy. If anyone has any suggestions???
[notify]
Holly - CGC TDI

Squirrel?- Squrirrel!- SQUIRRELLLLL!!!!

Barked: Fri Oct 1, '10 4:42pm PST 
Holly's not a pure Black and Tan, but she's been pretty easy to train. For leash training it just took a LOT of patience and stopping. Every time she starts to go ahead I stop and wait until she backs up. That's worked like a charm for us! Hope it works for you!
[notify]
Marlowe, CGC

BAH-ROO-ROO-ROOO- OO!!!

Barked: Tue Oct 5, '10 7:41am PST 
Edit: For some reason I thought the OP was recent (reading comprehension failure!). Anyway, I'll just leave this here in case anyone else has similar questions about training coonhounds.

Well, I'm about to start competing with my coonhound in AKC rally obedience, and he's been a CGC for years. He heels beautifully, sits, downs, stays, comes when I call (though with a scenthound, you must never EVER have them off-leash in an unfenced area--it does not matter how well-trained, a scenthound's entire purpose for being on this earth is to scent track and run AWAY from the handler, following the scent—for the dog's safety, you can't ever forget what they were bred to do), and does a variety of tricks.

Marlowe is a delight to train and the best dog I've ever had.

For me, the key was learning how to train in a positive way (I use the clicker training method). Forget all the dominance and "making the dog do what you want" and that sort of thing. Coonhounds care about one thing and one thing only: themselves. And that's fine. That's normal. But that doesn't mean that they can't be beautifully behaved, obedient and fun to be around. It just means that you need to motivate them with something other than "Because I said so." Instead, motivate them with all of the following:

- Because I might have something you want!
- Because I've never, ever given you a reason to mistrust or fear me.
- Because I probably know where the good smells are!
- Because I'm unpredictable and fun to be around!
- Because I know a good game to play!
- Food, food, food, food, food, food, food

In that way, Marlowe and I have a harmonious relationship. He does something for me, I do something for him. He has something I want (good behaviour), I have something he wants (a treat, a game, a toy, opposable thumbs that can open doors, access to sofas that are very soft and nice to sleep on).

To train a hound, you must forget what people tell you about them being stupid or untrainable. Be patient, positive, fun, understand where they are coming from and what they were bred for, and use their natural selfishness in your favour. Never hit, never yell (they're very sensitive and will just ignore you if you get angry), always offer a "paycheck" for a job well-done.

Because of hound breed stereotypes, when you do wind up with a gorgeously-behaved, polite, happy coonhound, everyone will be even more impressed than if you did the same thing with another breed. People will think you're a training genius, even though it's really not that difficult!

Edited by author Tue Oct 5, '10 7:43am PST

[notify]

Slasher

Splashy Slashie

Barked: Tue Dec 7, '10 2:02pm PST 
Coon Hounds love to trail but not always animals. Mine is going to be a SAR dog. They are VERY easy to leash train BUT the set backs are:
-6 foot fence jumping
-howling in the middle of the night
-weight + Hip problems
-leash pulling on occasion
-high strung + Love to jump
[notify]