GO!

House Breaking Blues

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Teddy

Small dog, big- personality

Barked: Sat Aug 4, '12 6:13pm PST 
Hi all,
I have the house breaking blues. Teddy is a wonderful boy with a couple of idiosyncrasies, the worst being he will not poop around people. I can't get him to poop outside ... I could walk him for hours and he'll come in just to poop inside, as far away from me as he can get. Even in doggie day care he runs to the far corner of the enclosure to poop. He is better with peeing, but he does have accidents in the house.
I can't crate train him because he will sit in the pee and/or poop; he doesn't care, and it doesn't stop him.
I've gone to a behaviorist, who suggested I try to train him to pee and poop in one place in the house. I'm so afraid he'll stop pee-ing outside at all that I haven't tried.
A pertinent piece of info -- he is a pet store rescue who obviously came from a puppy mill. The couple of times I have caught him pooping, he actually stands on his hind legs and hops around before he poops. I think he may have been in a crowded cage and that's how he learned to poop.
Any ideas? I love him and won't re-home him; I'm even getting new flooring with him in mind. But, I'd love to solve this issue. Thanks!
[notify]

Barked: Sun Aug 5, '12 5:22pm PST 
Our puppy Petie took forever to train to go outside! He did the same thing of sitting outside and going as soon as he came back in. I sat outside with him for 30 mins one time and he never went but as soon as he went in he pooped! Finally I started giving him treats when he went outside and I take him out when I know there won't be many distractions. You could also try getting a pen for outside just to let him use the bathroom in.
[notify]
Calixta

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '12 9:49pm PST 
Hey, I had the same problem with my puppy, shes almost 8 months and Im happy to say she is potty trained, the crate works great for us, and the same thing happened to us, she hold the pee and poo until we came back home, awful!!!, so we start crating her, and when she cried we took hear out, we wait for 10-15 min, if nothing she had to go back on her crate, the first day she hold it almost for 12 hours, I was about to give up, but finally she did, so because of that we star giving her treats and praise a lot, that way she feel comfy about it. Is very important that you build trust with your dog, never punish him for not doing it, and always repeat the same word of instruction "go potty" or whatever you wanna use. And stay relax, otherwise, dogs can feel our bad vibes and get stress about it.
Good Luck!!! wink
[notify]

Snowy

Snowy - the Fourlegged- sidekick

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '12 7:50am PST 
Snowy is 3months old - pees everywhere in the apartment. Poos only on the floors located in the far corners of the room, still not on the appropriate mat. Whenever we are out, she was able to hold her poo for many hours until we go back inside the houseā€¦ The poo spray - didn't work. thinking
[notify]