GO!

Itch, itch, itch, chew,, chew, lick... ouch... bloody spot!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Quiggley at- the Rainbow- Bridge

Home of the- Fearsome Four

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '07 3:45am PST 
cry my mom is so upset. i have a problem with my skin. i know I'm supposed to have sensitive skin, but i am getting pretty bad. i itch so bad that i chew and lick and chew until i make a bloody spot. now i have them all over. i had to go to the vet- i hate it there. he gave me a shot (ouch!) but i didn't itch so bad. my mom did that every few months when i started getting bad again. but this last time the shot didn't help.

what can my mom do to help me? my brother and sisters don't have this problem. but- when i cry-cry because i hurt, they do come to me and give me lickies and try to help me.

do you have any ideas?
[notify]
JR Angel

- cherished angel-

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '07 10:09am PST 
I have heard that Dinovite is a very good supplement to help itchy coats and skin.
http://www.dinovite.com/
I use Solid Gold Seameal and mommy says that she sees a difference.
http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php ?id=36&code=591

It might be worth a try. Good luck!
[notify]
Quiggley at- the Rainbow- Bridge

Home of the- Fearsome Four

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '07 5:38am PST 
woo-hoo... thank you for the tip! snoopy
[notify]

Sugar (In- Loving- Memory)

Start and end- every day with a- HUG!

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 7:41pm PST 
Do you think maybe you have an allergy? It could be a food allergy, or it could be to something in your environment.

Is the shot a depo shot? The one which has stopped working?

There are things you can do at home if it is a food allergy; but if it is something else which you are allergic to, then you need to see a dermatologist.

The most common food allergies for dogs are grains; and proteins. You do "food trials" to see if there is a food which is OK for you.

There are several grain free dog foods out there. One of them is Nature's Variety Raw Instinct. Their web site offers a dealer locator so your mom can find a place nearby which sells it. If it helps you, mom should see a difference in about 2 weeks. Remember, when you are doing a food trial, you can not have ANYTHING except that food. No treats, nibbles, scraps, getting into the other pets' food dishes!

One of the cats here has food allergies, we just went through all this from September to December, so it is still fresh in my mind. That cat had to wear an e collar for 4 months because he was licking and scratching to blood! So we tried the Raw Instinct and there was some improvement but not a lot. So we knew that kitty was allergic to grains and . . . something else!

So next we went to a vet dermatologist for testing. But know what? There are NO reliable allergen tests for FOOD allergies. So she said we need to try the prescription foods. They use proteins which are chemically different. Normally, dog food has proteins from: chicken, turkey, fish, beef and lamb. The prescription foods use: venison, quail, rabbit, duck. And I think there are some others.
ALL the prescription foods are grain free!

So the first one we tried was the venison. It is green peas and venison. And it worked! Within just THREE DAYS we saw a MAJOR improvement in the kitty! Now, all the vets and the dermatologist are going to tell you that you have to do a food trial for 8 weeks. Well, if you are not seeing ANY improvement in a week or so, move on to another food! Improvement does NOT mean the skin is all cleared up and the fur has grown back. THAT will take some time.

If you try foods and there is STILL a problem, that is when the dermatologist can do the testing for things like dust and mold, mites and other junk in the environment. It is expensive and time consuming. That is why they have you do the food tests FIRST!

We were so lucky. Kitty is OK with the venison diet. That is all he gets. He got rid of the e collar, his skin all healed, his fur grew back, and he is one happy CAT!

Feeding time, I put him in one bedroom and close the door. Then I put the food out for the cats, and take his dish in to him. After the cats are done, I pick up and feed the dogs. When THEY are done, I pick up, then open the door and pick up his dish and let him out. So he has plenty of time to eat, he isn't rushed, and NO other food is around when he is out. Now we have done this for several weeks, all I say is "food in the dish" and he RUNS to 'his' bedroom!

I hope some of this will help you!

Edited by author Mon Jan 7, '08 7:44pm PST

[notify]
Shasta, - Daisy

Get Set, Get- Ready, Rock This- House

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '08 11:55am PST 
wavewave, Shasta just got a open hot spot last weekend. Our vet told us to put 1 T. epson salts in 1 C. water & dilute well. We soak rag & solution & dabbed on sore every 2-3 hrs. until it started to looked like it was drying up. It got a scab on by the end of the day, & started healing. Its a week later & doing good. When she itches we put Gold Bond medicated powder on the area & the itching goes away. Here is a excellent website on hotspots:
http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/diseasesandconditions/f/F AQ_hotspot2.htm
Good Luck, there is a lot of good, easy home remedies on this site.
Cuddles, Shasta & Daisy
[notify]
Pettie

Pettie - my forever home

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '08 7:45am PST 
I used to do exactly like you did - itch - chew - itch and itch.
But, my mom investigated different dog foods for me.
Here are the names of three great foods made especially for me - and I will guarantee that you will stop itching
Wellness - by Core
Natural Balance
Solid Gold
I hope this will work for you as it did for me, I do not itch anymore, unless, the groomer uses a funky shampoo on me. Yuk -cheer
[notify]
Little Miss

Kiss Me, Pet Me,- and I am yours!

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '08 6:37pm PST 
I have that problem also. I had blood work done and am allergic to wet leaves, mold, grass, etc. I take Benadryl and Bath in Selson Blue per my vet recommendation. I did get steriod shots, but it gave me pancreitis problems. So be careful with the steriods. Bendadryl is based on weight. If you want more info, let me know.
[notify]
Spencer

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '08 1:22pm PST 
My problem of itchy skin and obcessive chewing was fixed by changing my diet, and I'm not allowed to have any people food anymore. I eat nature's recipe venison and rice. It's whats considered a hypoallergenic diet. It worked wonders for me!
[notify]
cilla

I wanna come- back as one of- my dogs

Barked: Tue Mar 25, '08 12:29pm PST 
poor baby
change the diet to a raw diet and STOP all commercial foods, use omega 3,6,9 daily as a supplement , stop all scented grooming aids, within 2 weeks you will notice a difference
[notify]
Duke

Duke-lover boy

Barked: Mon Jan 11, '10 11:11am PST 
I do not know if you have found a solution to your problem but if not I just found a new product and it works great. The name of it is skineze you can find it at skineze.com. I can't tell you how well this works in just 4 days he is a different dog no scratching and is starting to heal.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2