GO!

Going away taking dog crate or not

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Shadow

Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 8:15am PST 
Does anyone have any advice if I should get crate for shadow we going on trip and bringing shadow and as far know staying at my boyfriend grandparents house and she gets destructive when left alone and I kinda worry about it and also she get scared easy think her previous male owner beat her I accidentally dropped garage door remote on her knocked it off counter and she acted though I threw big rock and males can't step over her without her freaking and I not sure how she will do if we didn't need go we wouldn't but family member ill and I worry about how she will do
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 9:42am PST 
Is she already crate trained? Do you normally crate her when you're not home? If she's not used to the crate, being crated on your trip would probably just stress her even more and she could injure herself trying to break out.

If she is crate trained then by all means bring the crate. A dog properly introduced to a crate will often see it as a safe place, especially in an unfamiliar environment.
[notify]
Shadow

Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 10:07am PST 
No she never been in a crate that I know of
[notify]

Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 10:36am PST 
If she is not crate trained, can you put her in a room without her being destructive? Do you have time to crate train her? Otherwise I think you should stay home or tether her to you at all times!

Sounds as if she may have some separation anxiety that you need to work on....
[notify]
Shadow

Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 10:45am PST 
She's gotten better i don't know if she would be or not I got 2 weeks before trip she improved since she came to me
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 12:13pm PST 
If she has gotten better, that's a good sign, but if you have 2 weeks I would still attempt to crate train her. I will try to look up "crate games" for you later. smile
[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 1:06pm PST 
not sure if you can get this done in 2 weeks but...

Try this site for the basics: HSUS. It's not bad.

They state Crate your dog only until you can trust him not to destroy the house. After that, it should be a place he goes voluntarily.

I'd modify that to drop the 'After that'. When training, dog goes voluntarily or not at all. The whole idea in this is that the crate is a safe/relaxed place... not a restraint system... and NEVER used for punishment... and NEVER forced.

Dr. Watson is correct. The Crate Games DVD is good. It specifically relates to using the crate in training where dogs benefit from sit-and-think time. You train for the dog to enter and exit the crate with enthusiasm on command and under control... and the specifics work well for agility (and dock jumping and I'd guess flyball). The general concepts work well for general crating.

ETA If it isn't clear, don't use the crate on your trip if your pup is not trained. If you can't leave your dog unsupervised... don't thinking

Edited by author Fri Jul 19, '13 1:09pm PST

[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 1:54pm PST 
An example of a crate game: an example
Another example : another examole
Another: 1st and 2nd sessions

Perhaps these can get you started.

You may want to drape her crate with a sheet or piece of fabric if she likes a cozy place to hide.

Remember that it is really your responsibility that she not tear up things. Is it possible to board her?
[notify]