GO!

Anyone here see results with BAT ?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 5:29am PST 
Counter conditioning with Charlie has been a very slow process, and my neighbor recommended I give BAT a try. The video seems to make sense, but I'm afraid Charlie will be too reactive and will keep turning around to see the trigger as we walk away.

Link to site/video: http://functionalrewards.com/

Definitely willing to give it a try, but wondering if anyone here has seen results with this method?
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 6:26am PST 
Plenty of people have had success with it. Though, from your brief description, it sounds like your distance and timing may be off, so it's probably best to talk to a local professional who's familiar with the process.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 7:27am PST 
I've had good success with BAT as well as some people I know.

Timing is very important. If the dog goes over threshold you need to step it back because he won't be learning anything in that moment.

It has fallen out of popularity a bit because it can cross the line into negative reinforcement if the timing is off, and many pro force free trainers only work in the R+ and P- quadrants.
[notify]

Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 10:23am PST 
I think it is ridiculous to drop it because it is considered negative reinforcement, really. It was developed by Grisha Stewart, a force-free trainer, after all. Only the most adamant force-free trainers don't believe in it. I suggest you spent a lot of time at Grisha Stewart's site (Ahimsa). She is on fb, but I think she is on vacation now -- not sure. She would probably be happy to answer your questions.
Here is a great article on the various methods used to treat dog over-reactivity (I prefer this term because every dog reacts in some way!)

Treatment Summary -- Patricia McConnell

She only leaves out the method of putting your dog through an obedience routine or pattern when he comes upon the other dog. This is an older method but, I have had great success with this with one of my dogs along with using LAT (look at me). He only over-reacts when other dogs hackle or growl or pull toward him, and he has gotten down from 8 feet to 2 feet at this point.
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 12:57pm PST 
I've used aspects of BAT and seen improvements, but i'll admit that I don't follow it as it should be done if that makes sense. I just take bits here and there and apply it in Missy's training how and when it's needed.

I did meet up with another forum member and her HA/DA and very nervy dog and we just worked solidly with both our dogs using BAT for the entire meeting and I realised my timing was not as spot on as hers! She has seen some huge improvements in her dog though.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 5:38pm PST 
Yes, I've used BAT and have had a decent amount of success. My experience has been that one needs very good timing, and very good dog body language reading skills for the method to be really successful. I found that once Rexy starting understanding this new "game", we progressed pretty quickly and could decrease our distance substantially.

I think the most challenging part with a lot of reactive dogs is determining their threshold distance at that particular moment in time. So many different variables affect to take into account...

Have you read Grisha's book? I highly recommend it!
[notify]
CGC Diego

I love my peeps!-

Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 7:09pm PST 
Yes, I have also used it successfully to address moderate reactivity. I agree with others who suggest you find a trainer to work with, preferably one who has great timing and understands dog body language in its most finite aspects.

While I do hope you don't find yourself in a situation where it is being misused to the point of it being considered R-, I would hardly say that is a reason to discount it.

Any protocol that allows the dog to feel some control while leading them to make good choices is a winner in my book.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 7:11pm PST 
Thanks all for the great responses!
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 11:52pm PST 
I've been hearing about the R- aspect of BAT lately and personally, I believe that if done correctly, then that aspect of it is pretty minimal. It does take finesse though, but when it all falls into place it's pretty empowering for the dog (and human!) as they are learning that they can in fact, control their environment with their behaviour. smile

I know that for us, Rexy learning that she can disengage from other dogs without any negative consequences (dogs running at us or getting in our space), and then practicing that disengagement, has been particularly valuable.

Charlie, I don't think that I've ever had a problem with Rexy trying to turn around while we are walking away from a trigger during a training session. Yes, we've had some moments of bad timing (or unexpected behaviour from the other dog) that has lead to a bark and lunge, but she recovers quickly and is ready to work again in just a few moments.
[notify]
Dennis- FDCH-S,- TFIII

I love agility- and flyball!

Barked: Sat Jul 20, '13 6:43am PST 
If you are interested in learning more about BAT, you may want to also join Grisha Stewart's yahoo group, dedicated to discussing the application of BAT.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/functionalrewards/?yguid=3405 69015
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3