GO!

Teaching Speak

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 8:47am PST 
We're a bit backwards here I can get Jewel to stop barking no problem but there have been a time or two when I wanted her to bark (single woman here) and she didn't.

She is my smallest dog but naturally the most protective and unless Jem's going to have a voice change Jewel has the bigger bark.

Last night I got her riled up by knocking and pretending someone was at the door and then click/treated her for barking. She was in heaven, she loves barking.

At what point do add the command? Other tips?

Edited by author Tue Jul 16, '13 8:48am PST

[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 9:35am PST 
Speak is one of those behaviors that demonstrates how we were all clicker training long before the clicker was inventedlaugh out loud
It is a behavior that you can only teach by luring and marking. You are on the right track. I do something I know will create the response and say 'Speak' sort of repetitively. The instant I get a bark, 'Good Speak' and treat.
Aside from that, I taught Sabi to bark on cue at people with a low hissing kind of noise as a cue. Sort of a Tssst. It comes in handy when I would really prefer the drunken morons walk in the other direction. You might find that handy as well. It is hard for the approaching undesirables to hear the cue, but Sabs knows it means I want her to make noise and lots of it.
Use the speak command as a basis and have someone walk towards you, make the sound, give the command. In true doggy fashion with enough repetition they start to anticipate then you can drop the command and you have your cue.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 10:12am PST 
Yep. I capture a bark..not hard with a gsd laugh out loud but I add the cue right from the get go..after the first capture. So...*bark, click, "watchem!" It's the Eisenmann thing..educate smile After a few trials, (Squam is a fast learner) I presented the cue..then waited for a bark, then click/reward.
I just wish he was as good at *Enough! as he is with *Watch 'em!" dog
[notify]

Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 11:54pm PST 
Jackson has a big mouth so admittedly it was easy. laugh out loud

I also follow the Eisenmann principle. Marked on the first capture. I started the barking by making lots of noise and excitement, then treated. My marker was a hand signal which I added the commands speak and talk too (hubby later retrained in German so now we have gib laut as well, lol). Hand signal is very important for protection and I think every dog should know it ... If you are ever feeling threatened on a walk you can surreptitiously give the signal.

Sounds like you are on the right track, Jewel is very bright so she should catch on in no time.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 9:29am PST 
I was just going to do a verbal command as most of the time Jewel isn't watching me anyways. She's beeping independent, a pain when I'm trying to compete with her but a pleasure in day to day life. She's figured out what she needs to learn to get what she wants (walk off-leash to the car) and blows off the rest.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 11:55am PST 
Jewel, that's why I chose to go with the low hiss as a cue. It's quiet enough that most people would never hear it, and since Sabs is watching everything but me when we are out I can't rely on a hand signal.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 1:48pm PST 
"sssss" is how you cheat in the OB ring. laugh out loud Not that I bother because it's for heeling and Jewel's usually on the other side of the ring and I'm heeling by myself. Maybe I should try cheating??? laugh out loud
[notify]