GO!

Jumpy, The Dog

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 27)  
1  2  3  
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 5:49am PST 
Wow, Kikopup is against agility?!!!eek It's such a great sport and great way to bond with your dog. Gus loves doing the agility obstacles (I know because she's eager to do them and she doesn't even expect payment like she does for obedience maneuvers) . .. the jumps are limited by the dog's height, but there are also some variations in associations like NADAC where you could opt to do just a tunnelers or hoopers course--all on the ground no jumping, if your dog's not built for jumping or you're afraid of impact injury.

Gus naturally loves to climb and jump--before we even did agility she would jump up on any retaining wall in front of houses along the sidewalk and jump the gaps when she came to the stairs. I've heard of people's dogs just playing in the park getting an acl tear. Being smart and cautious is one thing, but life's too short to spend it in bubble wrap.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 7:35am PST 
Emily Larlham is a hardline extremist - in a lot of things - and only her most fervent followers take everything she says seriously. Personally, her channel bores me half to death. The agility thing is one of her crazier statements.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 9:59am PST 
Being smart and cautious is one thing, but life's too short to spend it in bubble wrap. way to go

Jumpy is amazing! And I love how happy he looks the whole time big grin

Fortunately, most dogs won't do the more dangerous stunts without working up to them first. Put that down as another way dogs are more intelligent than some people laugh out loud
[notify]

Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 10:01am PST 
I've watched a few of her teaching videos, but never watched her uh, "lecture" extemporaneously like this . .. it seemed a bit disjointed and not terribly smart . . .shrug She kept repeating "if you practice agility and get your dog to run his absolute fastest at home" . . .. has she been to an agility class?

Communication and handling win agility not going your "absolute fastest speed" . . a dog has to hit the yellow contacts or it's an N.Q.

At any rate, most people enjoying agility for sport aren't going for speed records like in the competitions you see at the very top of the sport on TV --they're going for clean runs which can be done at a very reasonable speed if your communication is good and handling efficient.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 10:13am PST 
Good point, Onyx!

And frankly I think dogs who have this kind of nerve and talent probably exhibit a lot of what they're capable of (crazy ability to jump/ climb fences, for example) on their own before they get to being trained special stunts . .. which is how pro trainers find THAT kind of dog.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 10:51am PST 
Noah - Oh my goodness! We don't have a gate like that, we have a solid one with a handle up top and one of the regular old plastic ones with tiny holes. We use the solid one most, but sometimes stack one on top of the other if my bunny is out to prevent Charlie from even attempting it. The only way he's hurt himself so far, has been a strained/pulled muscle by landing wrong, or slipping when his feet touch the top of the gate. He HAS stupidly gotten over-excited and impatient and tried to jump it with someone right in front of it before too though. It drives me CRAZY! I rarely use it anymore though, unless I need to contain them for muddy paws or something and then I usually just keep a close eye on him to make sure I can tell him 'No' to jumping it, lol. I hope your dog got better and was okay after!

I noticed on her video she stated a checklist:
- Check your dogs general health at the Vet.
- Make sure your dog is not overweight.
- Provide proper nutrition and exercise.
- Check with a PT to see if what you want to train is appropriate for your dog.
- Treat your dog like an athlete, warm up before sessions, cool down afterwards and build appropriate muscle groups.

I think a bunch of these go without saying. You wouldn't run a marathon without warming up first - why would you do that to your dog? And without having built him/her up to it first? Although, I do wonder about the PT thing. Not everyone can afford one to take a look at their dog for EVERY LITTLE THING they want to train. She also touched on the dogs that SLAM into their 'Down' command, hitting their elbows fairly hard on the ground, and talks about those who train their dogs to do so on purpose - I have to ask, HOW DOES SHE KNOW that every dog that does this, was trained to hit the ground that way on purpose? Ria does it, and always has simply because she's excited, super fast and lacks much patience.

Doesn't Jumpy's owner even say that jumps like from the truck into his arms were built up to in increments?

Ria would ADORE agility, or flyball if I had the time at the moment. I'd rather wait until she's at least two years old anyway, but I've strongly considered putting her into one or the other later. Her ball drive is INSANE and she'd make a great disc dog too if we could get into it.

I really am glad to see that I'm not the only one Emily bores though!
[notify]
Link

Hero of Hyrule

Barked: Mon Jul 22, '13 11:34am PST 
I wasn't going to post because I am a fan of Emily and it seems most of you here are not. However, I think you all are missing her point, we (should) know what is best for our dogs, because they usually don't. I just got back from a herding lesson with Link. During the lesson he ended up blowing both his front pads (the skin came OFF), and didn't show any signs until we had been working him for about 40 minutes, he started limping and we took him off to check him out. It was pretty bad (he's much better now), but guess what? He didn't want to stop, and would have kept going until all of his pads were blown, and probably beyond that too. Even after we had to cut a part of his pad off and vet wrap it, he was ready to go. The next day even when he was hobbling around, as soon as he saw the sheep he wanted to work. He was literally walking on his tippy toes. There was no way I would have let him work, even though he would have. My point is, you need to know what is best for your dog, and know when to stop. I think that is what Emily is trying to say, and yeah she can be a bit extreme about it, but personally I admire her for taking such responsibility for her dog's health and safety. And as for being boring, just look at her dogs. They are happy and engaged. She always seems like she's concentrating super hard, and maybe doesn't come off as having fun. I know I'm like that, people always tell me to smile more. I assure you, I'm having a blast, I just really need to concentrate!
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 27)  
1  2  3