GO!

Fence!!!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

DaVinci

Barked: Sun Jul 14, '13 12:52am PST 
I recently put up a fence at my new house and put a lot of time and hard work into it. Consequently i dont like people touching it. My dog DaVinci will try to bite anyone coming in or out of the fence, more so coming in. Why is he doing this? Are people messing with my dog and i am unaware and this is causing aggression? Is it possible he is picking up my emotions and therefore acting on my behalf? Keeping in mind he is only 5 months old and still very much a puppy. I think its good that he protects the yard and my house but he is even biting people he knows like my wife! Not sure if this is a coincidence but he only seems to act like this when the other dogs are around when they are removed he no longer attacks people coming in the gate.
[notify]
Koorazh

You can't catch- me!

Barked: Sun Jul 14, '13 4:42am PST 
Puppies roughhouse with each other and bite and nip in play. This is natural behavior; I doubt it has anything to do with your fence.

The most important thing to teach a puppy is "no teeth on skin." Not only is this important for other people, including your family members, but it is also important for the safety of your dog; many localities will put a dog down for a single bite.

There are a lot of articles on the web about teaching puppies not to bite. Try this when your puppy bites: squeal (like a puppy would when it has been bitten too hard); turn your back on your puppy and give him no attention for three minutes. Your puppy will learn that teeth on skin ends play time. You can also try substituting a toy and getting the puppy to focus on the toy instead of your hand or ankle. But there is bad advice on the web too. Please don't hit your puppy, yell at your puppy, grab your puppy by the scruff and lift him off the ground (I've seen this on the web), or otherwise terrorize your puppy.
[notify]
DaVinci

Barked: Sun Jul 14, '13 10:05am PST 
im thinking i will put up a sign telling people not to touch my dogs and il fill the yard full of toys for starters
[notify]

Koorazh

You can't catch- me!

Barked: Sun Jul 14, '13 10:52am PST 
There's nothing wrong with that, but it won't be enough.

You have to take the biting thing seriously because you don't want anyone to get hurt or your dog to be put down. Puppies don't train themselves. Training a puppy requires a time commitment from you. You might look around for a good dog trainer running a puppy class. It will give you some good tricks you might not have thought of, and it's fun for your puppy.
[notify]
DaVinci

Barked: Mon Jul 15, '13 7:38pm PST 
I really dont have time or money to get a trainer right now so i will have to handle and take care of this issue on my own. I might have to start letting him and the other dogs out seperately as he does not seem to react when other dogs not around. This is major inconvenience tho......
[notify]
Darcy

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 2:26am PST 
It’s normal for puppies to play roughly. You can put up a sign, but I don’t see it doing much good.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 6:55am PST 
I understand not having the money for a trainer, but not the time? If you don't have the TIME for a trainer and training sessions with your dog, how do you hope to accomplish getting your dog past this? Honestly, if this isn't nipped in the bud NOW, it could escalate into dangerous behavior later on. At his age, he doesn't sound aggressive. He sounds energetic and untrained. Basically, it's one of those, "OMG, someone new is coming into the yard, PLAY!" and the play is in the inappropriate form of biting at these guests. If the other dogs being around or not makes that much of a difference, it's also likely that they're the ones amping up this excitement.

Filling a yard full of toys WILL NOT REMEDY THE SITUATION, AT ALL.

This is something you should be doing DAILY training sessions with him on, by having friends or guests that come over, and having him on a leash so you can control him, or have the guests turn and leave as soon as he starts biting. Biting = people going away. Sitting politely = pets and rewards. It's NOT hard to teach a puppy these things. Whether or not you're committed to it is another thing entirely.

I don't think you fully understand the issues that can crop up if this isn't tackled NOW.
[notify]
Koorazh

You can't catch- me!

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 3:50pm PST 
Puppies are a lot of work. The time you put in -- or don't put in -- now will determine what kind of dog you are going to live with. In that sense, they are like kids; they don't train themselves, you train them.

If you don't have time to train a puppy, you might think about giving your puppy to someone who does -- before the biting problem turns into injury to people, before you decide that you can't deal with the dog anymore and turn him over to a shelter to be put down (which is what happens to most dogs at most shelters), or before he is put down on order of animal control after biting someone.

Forget "sit," forget "come," forget "speak." If you don't teach him anything else, teach him "no teeth on skin." This is done gently, by simply ending play time when it happens.
[notify]
Hunter, HI

I Heard You

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 5:38pm PST 
How can you not have the time to train your dog? Puppies are a lot of work and you shouldn’t get one if you can’t invest the time.
[notify]