GO!

Bringing a male bullmastiff into a house with other males?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Molson

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 7:26am PST 
I currently have 2 males, Vince and Molson, doberman and a golden retriever. I'm looking to get a bullmastiff but would like another male, I've read that it's not wise to bring a bullmastiff male into a home with other males, but my boys are very well tempered, and I have a background in dog training, in this case would it be a problem to bring the puppy into a balanced home? And the real question is, with the proper socialization and training, when he became an adult would I have problems? Opinions?
wave happy dance
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 8:13am PST 
I wouldn't recommend it.

Dog aggression, especially in breeds like Bullmastiffs, is beyond JUST environment and training... it is very much genetic, and something the breed is noted for.

Is is possible? Sure, end of the day all dogs are individuals and you might get lucky. MAYBE you can find an adult rescue with a known temperament that could work, though knowing that community, I doubt a rescue would release a male BM into a home with two other male dogs.

Not worth the risk IMO.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 8:51am PST 
I'm with Mulder on this one...no way, no how would I ever chance it, especially with one of the other dogs being a dobe. Unless you are on top every single second it is likely to explode at some point.
I have males that DO accept other males readily and I am still having to be on my toes constantly. Sometimes it is the simplest things like going into the bathroom and shutting the door behind me... for some reason that can be an invitation to fight to my boys! Fortunately, with toy breeds and social breeds I usually only need to clear my throat and they will remember their manners, but you are talking two breeds that definitely can and do have same sex aggression issues.
[notify]

Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 9:25am PST 
Sorry to be a bummer, but that would be inadvisable unless you start with an adult, and even then with caution to be sure the mix of males worked. Here's an excerpt from something I wrote reprinted in "The Drooler," which is the Pacific Northwest Bullmastiff Fancier's newsletter in 2009:

"The one BIG advisory is that enigmatic to this breed is the variance with same sex aggression.Some individuals you will see none of this in...as in
NONE...and others it is close to as insistent as it gets. The first three or four Bullmastiffs I knew were the former. Mush pots, loved everyone,issue free. And then I would hear the same sex aggression thing, which I didn't even take seriously until a judge friend gave me a furrowed brow when I questioned it. And THEN I saw the other side. A beautifully raised boy, gorgeously socialized, never a problem out and about, but in his own home, he might as well have been a maned lion. From the same lines, you can see both extremes. And SO, if you do not want SSA, the best breed advice is to rescue an adult. This is not dysfunction but a breed trait, and all the Bullmastiff's resolve getting layered on it does you no favors. I needed to point this out as some maybe as I was years ago, thinking of very accepting Bullmastiffs and concluding it was more an issue of raising and imprinting, etc...but first hand will say this is not the case. When this
breed decides to fall on the SSA side of the fence, they can be somewhat absolute in their decision.I have, interesting, noticed this same trend in
Boxers....it can go one way or the other, and it is very hard to call from a puppyhood state."

Generally speaking, a good breeder wouldn't sell a Bullmastiff puppy into a same sex situation. It can be hard to predict when they are pups, and Bullmastiffs are exceptionally bent on this when they lean that way. It requires rehoming a powerful dog with an aggressive history, so it's a bit of a nightmare.

Definitely on my top five list as breeds to avoid in same sex pairings. Particularly because they are so resolved and serious about it when they lean that way.

Edited by author Sat Jul 13, '13 9:29am PST

[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 12:08pm PST 
This is the ONLY reason I won't own another Bull Mastiff, tbh. I will always have a multi-dog home and will continue to foster when I have the opportunity, so... No Mastiff's with such a high tendency towards SSA. I've been there, done that and the ONLY successful way to handle the dogs was through a crate a rotate situation, with the dogs crated in separate rooms. Our Mastiff Kia wanted to KILL the other females.
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 1:23pm PST 
Molson, I bumped a posting in the Choosing the Right Dog forum that was written by a Dogster member a few years ago. She wrote extensively on this subject.
Check it out.

I don't know how to transfer that link to this forum.

Edited by author Sat Jul 13, '13 1:35pm PST

[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 2:54pm PST 
Bull Mastiff 101 There ya go Moose! smile
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Jul 14, '13 12:03am PST 
I have to mirror the other posters and say absolutely not. I knew a bullmastiff mix, lovey as can be with other dogs, but accepted him as an anomaly and still would never recommend it. This is just something you don't want to stuff around with, it can be a very dangerous issue. Get a female if you must have one.
[notify]