GO!

The Trainer Search...

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Crash Davis

Barked: Sun Jul 7, '13 1:05pm PST 
I guess I'm looking for a little consolation that it isn't much I'm doing wrong in the hopes of finding a trainer. My boy Crash a few months back had a freak day at the dog park, and since has then been barking at dogs on walks. I'm working on basic obedience at home and praising him the rare times he doesn't act up when he sees another dog, and just turning and walking away from dogs he begins to bark at before he gets too amped up. I use food to try to distract him, doesn't always work. I know I need help. I don't have a problem admitting it.

But I've contacted 3 trainers in the past month or so, and none have worked out. I've never even made it to the consult. One trainer I had worked with before (Lenny's basic obed. instructor) and we e-mailed back and forth about private with Crash to work up to the group class, said she'd call to schedule a consult. E-mailed me and said she got busy but that she would call me within a week. Never called or e-mailed me back, even to just say she was too busy to take it on. Two other trainers never even replied to my first e-mail, even though the instructions on their sites were to contact them by e-mail.

I don't think I'm expecting too much, I don't expect instant replies... Is a week enough time to expect a trainer to respond? Am I being unreasonable in my expectations here?

I am so frustrated and my dog seems to get worse as time goes on. I just want to help him reach a stage where he can enjoy his walks (and I can too) and maybe even attend doggie play dates again, but I won't be upset if that can't happen. I admitted I need help, and I'm struggling so hard to find it. I've contacted another trainer off the APDT list today, hoping this one will pan out... shrug

I want to do the work. I want the help. I just can't find it.
[notify]
Shayne CGC,- RL2

Shayne- Disc Doggin in- the 'Burgh!

Barked: Sun Jul 7, '13 5:15pm PST 
Make sure you check your spam folders for the trainer's response. I know that I have sent clients emails that got filtered as spam... so they thought I didn't respond when I did indeed email them.

If you are really interested in the trainers, email again or call them.
[notify]
Crash Davis

Barked: Sun Jul 7, '13 6:18pm PST 
Yeah Shayne, one of my friends pointed that out to me so I checked there and even in the trash folder in case I accidentally deleted it on one of my clicking sprees.

I kind of want to resend an e-mail, but I also don't want to seem pushy or rude or anything of that sort in case they did get it and just legitimately haven't gotten back to me. I guess I just never thought it would be this hard.
[notify]

Shayne CGC,- RL2

Shayne- Disc Doggin in- the 'Burgh!

Barked: Sun Jul 7, '13 6:40pm PST 
If it's been a week or more since you emailed, email again.

I'm not going to lie, there are moments where I get absolutely inundated with emails and I read them, then reply to them in order of 'importance' (current students are always priority)... and sometimes emails get lost in teh shuffle.. i TRY to go through once a week and make sure I have replied to all emails but it's not a perfect system.

PERSONALLY, if someone emails more than once, assuming it's not daily and angry, i'm never upset or bothered. I take it as they are very interested and if their first email fell through the cracks, I make sure the second doesn't.
[notify]
Crash Davis

Barked: Sun Jul 7, '13 8:25pm PST 
Thanks Shayne, maybe I'll try resending an e-mail then. It's good to hear from the trainer's perspective.
[notify]
Maple Leaf

Where's the- Squirrel?!

Barked: Mon Jul 15, '13 11:02am PST 
Crash, I agree with Shayne- email one more time OR make a phone call pointing out that you're email has gone unresponded. If you don't get anything by this time then I'd look elsewhere. coming from another trainer, I do my best to respond within 24-72 hrs. Phone calls get responded to fastest for me.
[notify]