GO!

Problems with Wfie's Dog

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 22)  
1  2  3  
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 9:56am PST 
I could never have an SO who didn't REALLY like dogs. Roman sleeps in my bed, he goes everywhere with me (even into stores... it's good to know a lot of people who know about your disability but only has an ESA for help), he likes to cuddle with me often, Roman probably will be in my shirt more than my SO (Roman gets cold easily and I haven't gotten him a sweater yet... so he is often found in my sweater), he gets expensive high quality food cause I WILL NOT buy grocery store (or whatever) food... to me they are unhealthy and icky (so if SO wants steak, and I can only buy one, the dog gets his food and SO doesn't get his steak). All in all, Roman is my baby. As the saying goes, "love me, love my dog".

Currently, I'm seeing a person who is not really that much of a dog person. He likes dogs but doesn't see how a person can be so bonded to a dog. Dogs are just dogs.... right? I told him if we ever go ANYWHERE for a vacation or whatever, we take him. He seemed a little put off by this, but I did explain to him about my disability and how Roman (even though I've only had him for a few weeks) is helping me deal with some of it (I'm training him to do most of what a PSD does... in time). I don't see it working out in the end unless he starts seeing things my way about dogs. In the meantime, a girl's gotta have some fun right?
[notify]
Kye

I'm like- Einstein only- hairier.

Barked: Thu Jul 18, '13 1:24am PST 
Let me start by saying that I think you got a lot of great advice on the elimination in the house issue, the obsessive paw licking, and the counter surfing/begging.

I absolutely LOVE kennel training. My boys are both kennel trained, they are to the point now that they know that is "their bed" and they go there to nap or to get away from company if they don't feel like socializing anymore. When used correctly a kennel is a great training aid. If you put the dog in the kennel and give him a down/stay command while you eat and then feed him his own dinner after you're through with yours (NOT table food, a healthy raw/kibble diet for dogs lol )The kennel can also be used at night if you don't want him on the bed. My boys have dog beds on the floor at the foot of my bed that they lie on simply because I don't have the room for kennels there. I'm not sure if he is already kennel trained or not but providing he is and you already have a "go to your bed" command I would suggest sending him "to bed" and leaving him in his crate for about a week then try it with the door open and see if he will stay in there by himself. If you want him to sleep in his own bed you can't let him up for at least 6 months. After the 6 months you can start teaching him "up" and "off" only allowing him if he was invited. I suggest this for all furniture. Couches, chairs, foot stools, etc.

I know you mentioned you aren't really a dog person but if you wanted to try and build a good relationship with the dog I would go to basic obedience with him, even if he knows the basics a few classes can really sharpen him up and develop trust and respect between you and him. Classes are also a great way for you to understand your dog a bit better for sure. The fact that the dog doesn't listen to your wife probably means that the dog isn't being asked to follow many rules/boundaries and is essentially running the show. If you really didn't want to attend classes for some reason try going to the library and checking out some training books/videos and start a training routine for you and the dog that matches both of your preferences. There are also a few really great training tips online.

I have to say I am of a different mind from most people who have posted in regards to the walking on the lead. I like a nice, neat heel. I don't want to be pulled along while my dog tears across the ground in search of whatever he smells. I think a reliable heel makes walks more pleasant and safe. Though I'm not sure how great the risk is that a Boston Terrier will pull you into traffic XD Biking with your dog is a great way to burn off some excess energy (and if he's like most Bostons he probably has a ton to spare!) Try taking him for a short bike run before teaching the basics of heel. You'll find him way easier to work with and more in the mood to pay attention. There are a few really good training techniques for heel depending on which method you prefer. I personally like this method: http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/dogs/Teaching-Your-Do g-to-Heel.html?page=all
However some people are not comfortable with giving corrections and prefer to use treats/praise rewards. Youtube has many very good videos on how to get the heel you've always wanted.

For the part of the carpet that he licks try spraying it with a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water. It's a great and cheap way to deodorize carpet/fabrics. Don't worry, the vinegar smell goes away when it dries smile On the plus side, most dogs don't very much enjoy vinegar and he may even leave the area alone once he gets a lick of it.

Some links I think you may find helpful:
http://www.terrificpets.com/articles/102212265.asp - NILF training
http://puppies.about.com/od/BehaviorProblems/a/Dog-Languag e-How-Dogs-Communicate.htm - understanding how your dog communicates
http://www.perfectdogtraining.com/articles/dog-trainin g/teaching-your-dog-to-heel - heel training tips

I would also recommend having a conversation with your wife on what you both expect from the dog. Training works best when it is applied consistently and by every member of the family. You may have to compromise on a few things but if everyone is to be more or less happy you will all have to work together and make a few changes. Remember, you get what you put in. If you're willing to do the research and commit the time to it you will soon have a well behaved dog you enjoy hanging out with! Also by making sure he is fixed, healthy and properly exercised works wonders as well!

Good luck and keep us posted!
dog walkdog walk
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 22)  
1  2  3