GO!

"Dognition" Your thoughts?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 11:44am PST 
I ran across an article in Modern Dog that discusses dognition.com. It's supposed to be a science project that profiles your dog's personality and cognitive ability through training games you do at home then fill in on the site. It is costly, though.

I was wondering if anyone has done it, or heard of it. It looks like it would be fun to do with the fuzzies. smile A fun bonding/training time that is outside of the box. I know Paisley (my hard-headed one) loved the sample game, especially since she didn't have to be perfect.
[notify]
Arya

Serious Face

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 12:22pm PST 
Was literally JUST looking at Dognition and did the sample stuff. I really like the layout and that there's a bunch of games. It looks fun to try, but I don't really have the money to blow on the sort of thing right now. frown Maybe someday.

Actually, someone posted a different dog personality thing here in the dogster forum a month or two ago. I was trying really hard to find it because it was free, if anyone remembers that and can link it that would be AWESOME.
[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 1:16pm PST 
Dognition comes out of Brian Hare et al.'s canine work at Duke. He has a book, which is also quite a good read (The Genius of Dogs). In any case, Charka and I have gone through the tests. It was hugely fun and a opportunity to see what's ticking under the hood. For me? Unexpectedly useful. It is just pure fun and sometimes really surprising to see the strategies my dog employs to solve problems... Bondedness? A mild surprise to see her yawn for me and another mild surprise to see how many minutes she will maintain eye contact. My shock (and apparently for the Dognition crew as well) was her total lack of 'cunning'. Leave it means LEAVE IT to the point that I can exit the room after telling her 'leave it' for nice warm turkey bacon placed in front of her (which is way beyond 'covering my eyes' or 'turning my back' that is the test) thinking

In any case, we got a report back which was pretty much spot on re Charks [she is what they call an Expert; independent problem solving calling on her human only if she can't get it]... and, since we joined, we get addition monthly tests to try out and personalized training tips. I enjoy knowing and working with my dog. Dognition has helped me understand our relationship and Charka's approach to her world in some concrete ways. We're a better team... but in small light bulb ways rather than earth-shaking transformation. Oh, and I DO look at this as where can I employ this additional knowledge set to improve how we work together?.

Let me know if you have specific questions. I'll be happy to share.
[notify]

UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 1:26pm PST 
I just spent the longest time trying to find the thread where you talked about the book and test, Charks. I must have been using the wrong words to search for it, but you chimed in so that's better anyway smile

I haven't signed up and done the tests, but I plan to. I have read part of the book (still need to finish) and it's very enjoyable.

Arya, is this the thread you're thinking of?
Try the Dog Personality Test
[notify]
Arya

Serious Face

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 1:55pm PST 
YES!!! Thankyou Onyx, that's it exactly. big grin
[notify]
Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 4:51pm PST 
Interesting! I just did the dog personality test. I already know this, but my three are all totally different! laugh out loud

I think Paisley is my most empathetic one (she is always worried with our emotions and goes out of her way to make us feel better. Including securing (and giving) us treats, yawning when we do, and worrying when we do. Other than that, she is useless! Haha! No trainability whatsoever.

Gunner is my most trainable, but he has only medium empathy and no patience!

Pixie is trainable as long as I play her games... Typical terrier! I adore it. smile

I don't know how I felt about the questionnaire. It did raise some eyebrows but I don't feel as if it had any leverage to say RED FLAG on some of those questions. Like Gunner will urinate in the house, BUT ONLY if a strange dog is present. No other time will he pee. There was one question on that, no more. It needed to be more in-depth on those questions. Lol!
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Thu Jul 11, '13 12:36pm PST 
Bumping this up because Doggyloot is selling the Toolkit + 1 year membership for Dognition for 50% off, in case anyone is interested. Doggyloot emails you a code you can redeem on Dognition's Gift page. I bought it and it worked perfectly.

Dognition Assessment Kit + 1-Year Membership
[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Thu Jul 18, '13 1:42pm PST 
For those of you that go through the Dognition testing... keep us posted!
[notify]