GO!

Housetraining question.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2  
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 4:56pm PST 
Maybe you can just push the bell each time right before you take him out. Jax used to poke the doorknob when she wanted to go out. It would make a very distinctive sound. I never taught her that. She just picked up on it when I opened the door to take her out. Good to hear your making progress. Good Luck!
[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 8:45pm PST 
I just hope it's loud enough because I am partially deaf, and when I'm doing dishes or in the laundry room, I don't hear a damned thing. I would get something loud, but living in a duplex doesn't allow that. I already have special permission to have my dog here, in no pet housing, because of my disability (not the deafness but another disability). I don't want to push my luck.
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Fri Jul 5, '13 3:57am PST 
Maybe you can teach him a different cue when he wants to go out? Kali sits in front of me a stares at me and Koby comes and puts his head on my lap and if I don't get it right away, he does this funny dance. Maybe when you see him at the door, you can call him over and ask him if he has to go potty? Good Luck!
[notify]

Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Sat Jul 6, '13 2:46pm PST 
Walmart sells remote controlled, push button door bells. I bought a set with one noise box, and extra buttons. They have dip switches so you can link them all together. You could plug more than one box in so you can always hear the bell it he presses it.
The next step is modifying the button to make it easy for the dog to push.
For a small dog, try just mounting the button at a good height for his nose, or place it on the floor for his feet.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2