GO!

Housetraining question.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Sun Jun 23, '13 4:07pm PST 
Roman has peed twice on my carpet now, both times was after we were out. Why is he doing that and how can I stop it?

Edited by author Sun Jun 23, '13 8:49pm PST

[notify]
Maggie

Wishing For Snow

Barked: Sun Jun 23, '13 5:27pm PST 
He is doing it because he doesn't know any different yet and no one noticed the signs that he needed to go out.
You can stop it by watching him at all times and taking him out at any sign that he might be looking for a place to pee. If you cannot watch him, he should be in a crate. He will need to go out after he eats and after he has had a play session or has woken up from a nap. If he does have an accident it needs to be cleaned with an enzymatic cleaner such as Natures Miracle. If he seems to always be going in the same spot, you could try feeding him his meals there - dogs will not potty where they eat.

Be patient and consistent and don't get angry at him - this will only cause anxiety and he will start to look for a place to hide to potty.
[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Sun Jun 23, '13 6:11pm PST 
Thank you. I am being very patient with him, I don't punish him for doing it since it is my fault that I wasn't paying close enough attention. I just don't think I get why he isn't go when we were outside for 3 hours. Maybe it was because he had the tie out leash on him and it was a new experience? I give him plenty of praise every time he goes potty outside. So I guess patience is the key.

I've never really had to house train a dog before except for 1 and that was ages ago and the duty was split with my mother. So, new experience for me and new experience for him being an indoor dog instead of a stray.

BTW, Maggie is beautiful.

Edited by author Sun Jun 23, '13 6:17pm PST

[notify]

Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Sun Jun 23, '13 6:24pm PST 
When I got Jax, she came from a horrid place and thought filth was normal. I put her in a crate and took her out every 15-20 minutes until she went outside. If she went, I made a huge deal out of it with treats and play. That meant she earned 1/2 hour of freedom in one or two rooms, supervised. In 1 hour, I took her back out. If she went, she earned more freedom, if not she went back in the crate. In another hour, I took her back out. Again, if she went, she got freedom, if not then she went back in the crate. This is "a lot" of work at first, but if you keep up with it, within 2 or 3 weeks, they usually get the hang of it and start asking to go out. Sometimes they catch on sooner. It might be subtle like staring at you, standing by the door, pacing, panting or poking the door knob. You have to watch for the cue. They generally won't ask twice. By the way, Jax became the cleanest dog I ever had. She would rather have exploded, than make a mess in the house. I think she liked being clean. smile Good Luck! He's very cute!
[notify]

Barked: Sun Jun 23, '13 6:45pm PST 
Maggie seems to be right on target ... your dog cannot be trusted at this stage and similar to a small child must be supervised or confined to AVOID (rather than correct problems). If done patiently and consistently this issue usually disappears in time. If not, your dog might be 12 and still having the same problem
You might also consider basic obedience training ,,,, often it helps the maturation process. Often the two go hand-in-hand.
Dog trainers can also be found at www.nookslist.com. A new site providing a directory of local Trainers, Groomers, Boarding, Walkers, sitters throughout NJ.
[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Sun Jun 23, '13 8:47pm PST 
He doesn't have a solid cue quite yet but I noticed that right before we go out for our scheduled walks (when I am getting everything together), he will sit by the door and stare at me expectantly. This is usually 3-4 times a day. He gets around 6 hours of exercise per day. Luckily, I am home all the time because of a disability. So, I am fortunate enough to take him almost everywhere I go.

The first time he peed in the house was because of the rain and floods that have been happening here. We have been stuck inside most of the time and he was unwilling to go out into the rain. I had to pick him up and take him outside, I got soaked quite often and very quickly in the last 4 days. So out walk schedule was thrown off.

Today, we were out for a very long walk (3 hours) and then I had yard work to do. We have no fence to speak of so I have a tie out for him. He has not gone to the bathroom once in the yard since I got him and seems to have no interest in it. So it's my fault that I wasn't paying attention while I was doing yard work to notice that he didn't go to the bathroom while we were out there. And when we got back inside, I started cleaning, so I probably didn't notice a sign if he did give one.

So we do have scheduled walks. The weather is finally looking better today so our scheduled walks are back on. Other than those 2 accidents he's very good. I am training him myself and do have experience with training dogs (mainly Rotties, who was a champion in obedience and 1 Border Collie cross), the housebreaking thing is just a bit new to me.

Roman is a pleaser, he will get something very quickly if he is praised highly. He knows sit, stay, come, no bark, no bite, enough and to wait (sit until I say okay) for his food until I am ready to give it to him. A lot of things are still in progress. He does not know the command "down" yet and we are working hard on that one. He sits on street corners when we are waiting for the light to change and sits (most of the time) when we stop anywhere. and as a bonus, he fetches and knows the "out" command. I have been working on him since a couple days after my mother started fostering him (no, I do not live with my mother, I just went there every day to take care of him when my mother was at work). All in all, he's better behaved than my 6 year old. lol

Training a small dog is a bit new to me and I have to use a gentler touch than when I trained the Rotties (1 was mine and my mothers, the rest were foster Rotties). Again, I am with him all day every day, so finding time to train is not an issue. Money is a bit tight though, so going to obedience class right now is not going to happen.

I think that maybe the issue is that I need to pay more attention to see if he does have any cues except for the expectant look on his face when he knows we're going out for a walk. Other than those 2 times he has gone pee in the house, he doesn't do it. I don't pay attention to him constantly either and he wanders the house. All the doors are closed and we only have one floor with a short hallway, so pee spots, especially hidden ones, are hard to find... even for a dog. We have our scheduled walks and if that schedule has the chance of being thrown off, I need to watch more carefully for signs.

As for the enzyme spray, I do have some, he still peed in the same spot... in the middle of the carpet as if to say HA! YOU DIDN'T TAKE ME OUT ON TIME HERE'S SOMETHING YOU HAVE TO CLEAN NOW! I'm glad I have a little green machine (spot steam cleaner). lol

P.S. I just got him a rain coat today so maybe walks in the rain will be a little longer and tolerable for him.

Edited by author Sun Jun 23, '13 8:48pm PST

[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Mon Jun 24, '13 3:34am PST 
Just remember, a dog is a dog, is a dog. Just because their small doesn't mean their harder to train or they should be treated any different from a large dog. Sounds like your on the right track. Good Luck!
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Mon Jun 24, '13 3:46am PST 
Have you been to the vet lately? If peeing on the carpet is new, it could be a UTI. It is always good to rule out medical before assuming you have a training problem.
[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Mon Jun 24, '13 6:54am PST 
Fritz- no it is not a new problem. He was a stray before the rescue I got him from picked him up in Texas, so he just isn't completely housetrained yet. I'm going to the vets on Friday though to have his very first check up there. Make sure he doesn't need vaccinations (which I don't believe he does) and meet the vet there as well.
[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 8:00am PST 
Update on housetraining!

Roman has been signalling me when he needs to go outside. He will sit at the door. Now I just wish there was some other signal because sometimes I'm rushing around the house cleaning. I figure I'm going to try to train him to ring a bell when he needs to go out. Any ideas how I do that?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2