GO!

Won't stop barking at the door and other sounds

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Baby

What'd you say?- I wasn't- listening.

Barked: Sat Jun 8, '13 6:25pm PST 
Some of you may know Baby recently started to lose sight in his eye. His insecurities have been getting worse and he goes off every time my phone rings, the doorbell rings, there's a knock on the door, etc.

He's ruining Chaplin who is a service dog in training and Baby has no where to go until my sister gets her apartment in the next 6 months sometime.

I can't stop him. Out of desperation I tried a citronella collar. It worked for a bit and while it was working I rewarded for not barking. Anyway, now that it stopped working he's at it again. It's so awful I can't even redirect without him going off for a thousand hours and then he comes to get a treat but I don't want to reward for going off for a thousand hours and then coming. We have neighbors above us and it's only a matter of time until they complain and the my landlord can kick him out (and Chaplin will be ruined).

I tried ringing the doorbell over and over again a few days in a row until he stopped responding and my roommate could reward. I rang it consecutively over 300 times and he only stopped for two of them. I can only do that so many times.

And knocked... and whenever our neighbors come in he goes off... I'm at the end of my rope here...

Suggestions? Any fast turn arounds?
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Sun Jun 9, '13 5:27am PST 
I tried ringing the doorbell over and over again a few days in a row until he stopped responding and my roommate could reward. I rang it consecutively over 300 times and he only stopped for two of them. I can only do that so many times.

As you probably figured out, this wasn't a good idea. The more opportunities you give him to practice bad behaviour the more ingrained it will become. You should have rung it once, and regardless of his reaction, your roommate should have provided something amazingly valuable like roast beef. Even if he's barking, toss some beef at him, have it rain from the sky until he forgets the doorbell rang. Then, maybe 3-5 minute later, you can try ringing it again. Same roast beef reaction. Repeat on a regular schedule for several days/weeks. The reason the doorbell is so arousing is that each time it rings, the people in the room engage, they move around, there's an unknown outside the door, a new person may come in... it's all very exciting for a dog. If you remove the craziness of people moving around/entering and instead pair the sound with an amazing high value treat it will, eventually, be what's associated with the sound. Booster sessions will be necessary to maintain that association.

How much exercise is the dog getting? 9 times out of 10, problem alert barkers can be helped greatly by doubling the exercise they get each day. If a dog is a bit less on edge due to a good run it'll grant you better access to do some conditioning work as I suggested above.
[notify]
Baby

Barked: Sun Jun 9, '13 8:41am PST 
I tried the method you mentioned and then some goose said "flood" him with the doorbell and reward for no response after. I did so out of pressure from those I live with and the tension of our neighbors.

He goes running everyday with SO but Baby is used to the job of being a SD. So I think it's loss of that and his insecurities with his sight -- he has started other behavior on walks.

He does nosework once a week but I'm short on money what with Chaplins training so I can't start him in agility or anything.
[notify]

Baby

Barked: Sun Jun 9, '13 8:52am PST 
I tried the method you mentioned and then some goose said "flood" him with the doorbell and reward for no response after. I did so out of pressure from those I live with and the tension of our neighbors.

He goes running everyday with SO but Baby is used to the job of being a SD. So I think it's loss of that and his insecurities with his sight -- he has started other behavior on walks.

He does nosework once a week but I'm short on money what with Chaplins training so I can't start him in agility or anything.
[notify]
Baby

Barked: Sun Jun 9, '13 8:52am PST 

[notify]