GO!

For those with more than 2 dogs

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2  
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 9:20am PST 
Four here. And I didn't have any stress until we added number four, where initially there was a little conflict between her and my Corgi mix.

Now they are little teammates.

I have no more trouble with four than I did with one. Of course the one WAS a labrador...shock

I like to free walk them and have several places where I can go. Their recall is good, only once in a while do they decide to wander a bit and I am in a place where there is lots of space, so no problem. If leash walking, I have to take them 2 at a time.

I give them all about equal attention, with a little extra helping for the insecure velcro corgi.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 2:42pm PST 
I was once at a seminar where someone was asking something about not letting her big dogs do something her little dogs were allowed to do. The woman giving the talk answer that all dogs are not the same, they do not have the same needs and it's OKAY to have different rules for different dogs.

You would think this is common sense but I think she blew a few minds. I feel no need to make things even between the dogs. Jewel is my baby and Jem is a competition dog, fosters vary.

I wouldn't worry about it too much Bunny. Depending on the personality of your puppy it could be moot. Jem rarely wants to be held at this age, she's only jealous of Jewel when she thinks she's getting food, she's not crying in her crate when I take Jewel to work with me. Making things even between them is in our mind, they aren't keeping track.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 2:44pm PST 
Trust me, some days are better than others...tonight being the other!!! It's been raining ALL day so they were shut in all day. I got home at five, took everyone out, then right back in for dinner, then out again for a few minutes, now they are all milling about the house trying to convince me to do something for them, with them. The toybox gets emptied pretty quickly on nights like this!
On days this yucky they DO spend more "crate" time than I would like, but they don't seem to mind and race into their crates when I open the dog room door. On rainy days the younger ones also go to daycare so that helps. If it's REALLY rainy for too many days they will camp out in large expens at daycare, which gives them (and me) time out of each others hair.
I also rotate who is sleeping in the bedroom with me...that makes me feel better, too.
[notify]

Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 6:06pm PST 
I have 5 dogs at the moment. Star is a therapy dog who also does ob/rally, Maggie and Wiggles do obedience/rally, Milo is a rescue who is being socialized (he was very fear aggressive when i got him), and Josie is retired (she did ob/rally for most of her life but now would rather relax). I find that my dogs love going to individual classes where they are the center of attention and they work better for me so each dog has their night where they come out with me and work.

I walk them all together, and when I have fosters I walk the foster(s) with my pack. I have never had an issue even when bringing in multiple fosters.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2