GO!

For those with more than 2 dogs

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 6:18pm PST 
I keep trying to imagine life with 3 dogs. There are things that I would want the 3rd dog for that I can't do with my other 2. Therapy work for one , as well as a "job" helping me delivery the flyers. Neither one of my current dogs are good candidates for these jobs. I am able to walk Bunny and Princesse separately the majority of the time. I just wonder how those with 3 or more dogs who dogs have "jobs",(therapy, showing, agility ,ect) manage. Do you switch days/dogs? Does everyone get equal attention everyday or some dogs get more attention one day and the others another? How in the world do those of you with more than 2 dogs involved in activities do it?
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 7:22pm PST 
My "three" dog situation is a bit different from most.
I put the three in quotations as yes, when we first brought Rigby home, there were 3 dogs splitting the attention allocation. But now, Cobain, Rigby, SO, and I live on our own (Oz is an "occasional" (frequent) visitor as my mother could not bear to live without him after 10 years).

Most mornings I will take the 3 out and walk and play disc for about 30 minutes with them. They each have their own disc which gets thrown on different intervals - I am always throwing as they retrieve. Or just fetch which the 3 of them chase the same ball.

The 3 of us take leashed, and unleashed (depending on the location of course) walks, totaling to at least 2 hours per day.

I try to work on each individual skill for the dogs for at least half an hour per day. E.g., Cobain gets agility or disc work, Rig gets agility/obedience/disc work, and Oz gets some trick work to keep him happy.

I am fortunate in that Oz, is not only older, but he's always been relatively low maintenance. He's equally happy taking a walk as he is having treats thrown about the room to stimulate his mind. SO can easily take care of that wink

The individual time is where things can get tricky. If you've got 2 people and some lower maintenance dogs, then it's a relatively easy caveat smile
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 7:59pm PST 
Three dogs here.

With rare exceptions, I walk the three of them together, every day. It's practical, and they all enjoy it.

Inside, there's some amount of rotation, because I can really only have two of them on me at a time. I try to keep it balanced so that everyone gets roughly equal time.

As far as taking them places, I try to balance togetherness with individual outings. They're all happy together in the back seat of the car, and I've used that intentionally when for whatever reason we're having a stressy day at home.

But Corky is blind, and needs extra attention in new places. Dora doesn't like too-smooth flooring, and needs extra attention in pet-friendly stores, or else needs to be carried in the sling. This makes it kind of tough to, for instance, take all three of them to Petsmart to get out of the house on a rainy day. That usually has to be a case of " pick any two," snd then take the third somewhere alone the next day.
[notify]

Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Sat Jun 8, '13 1:01am PST 
My grandma has 5 dogs!! shock It is insane going over to her house, and my Mom has 3.

In my Grandma's case she has 2 Akita's, 2 Jack Russell's, and a deaf and pretty much blind Great Dane. When you have this many dog's they pretty much start to take care of each other, and will not beg for attention as much. Some dogs want more attention then others. The Great Dane and the Jack Russel's want the most attention and the Akita's pretty much take care of themselves.

Even the ones that want attention are not has bad as my single baby Hazel laugh out loud
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Jun 8, '13 4:18am PST 
I have ten house dogs. Fortunately, they all get along, and I have a large, fenced yard that we go play in almost every day.
As for trips and special events, I rotate, depending on what/where we are going. The good news, the ones left behind always have someone to play with!!!
I have an added plus in that I own a boarding kennel/daycare so different ones go to work with me every day. I also teach obedience classes, so again, I use a different "demo" dog each week.
My dogs also have many young, human friends who invite them on overnights quite often, and these same young people stay here for overnights and have a different "special" dog that sleeps with them each night.
Yeah, some get more "special" time than others, but I think I mind that more than the dogs do!!!!
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Sat Jun 8, '13 7:02am PST 
I'm planning on adding a third addition to my little pack later this year if all goes to plan and the new puppy is a future sport/working candidate. Giving them all attention/time doesn't phase me, they'll get plenty of that. But the new puppy will obviously be doing more than the other two and will be out at training classes a couple times a week maybe as well as taking individual, separate walks for the first 6-12 months. So that does leave my other two out at these times...something they're not used to. With two it's been easy to do everything together, but three is going to make it slightly more complicated. I think it's more one of those situations where you take it as it comes and once you've fallen into some kind of routine it will be easier to manage.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sat Jun 8, '13 7:25am PST 
I've had five dogs at once before(or rather, two were mine, the other three were my mother and her SO's dogs, but we all lived together and I was really the only one who did much with any of them).

I had Regan and Maya both on a strict daily training schedule, as I was trying to train Regan to better listen, and rehabilitate Maya's fear aggression problems with strangers.

The female Rottweilers(Maya and Regan) were on a crate and rotate situation with the female Bull Mastiff(Kia), while the two males got along with everyone so they got to stay loose all the time. We stuck to a fairly strict schedule with the crate and rotate situation to keep things fair - the females all got the same amount of time out of their crates, and in the yard, etc.

I woke up early every morning, walked each dog individually(or jogged, depending on the dog - Regan benefited from the jog better, as did Charlie). Then I would work on Regan and Maya's training throughout the day, and once again, they would get another walk in the middle of the day - usually to the off leash park(this walk was the longest, at a minimum of about 2 hours per dog), and an evening walk as well.

I didn't necessarily do any classes or actual activities with them, as I couldn't afford to at the time, but I was working hard on their training on my own, and had a strict schedule with all the dogs. I think I had the least strict schedule with Kia because her only issue was severe SSA and well, she was too strong for me to handle on my own with training that. She had NO other issues, but if she spotted another adult female, she would go into instant ATTACK mode and would go right for the throat. She got shorter walks that were usually around times with low potential to run into other dogs.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 3:32am PST 
Thanks for your input everyonesmile I walk Bunny and Princesse separately because of Bunny's reactivity issues ( which he is coming along very well with btwbig grin ) I would want to walk a puppy separately as well for some "us" time. The problem I foresee is my lap is not big enoughlaugh out loud No worries with hubby, Princesse is not going to let another dog near *her* daddy!

Toto, 10 house dogs!eek I still haven't figured out how to talk hubby into dog number 3, let along 10big laugh

Charlie, that sounded really complicated eek

Everyone else, thank yousmile
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 6:57am PST 
Bunny, Toto is a professional dog owner! She's in a special category!laugh out loud

I always wonder how my instructors do it--they'll have at least five dogs at any given time. I've had two dogs at a time before, dog sitting, but somehow when the other one wasn't mine, it didn't feel like a commitment . .. Having recently got a second that I'm thinking I'm keeping, feels more like a handful--I'm responsible now. Can't imagine doing more, but maybe it comes in baby steps . ..laugh out loud
[notify]
Aurora- Borealis

Fluffy leader

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 7:57am PST 
With my girls(Aurora, Tesla, and Daisy) we spend most of our time together because my pack is very pack orientated. But when I want alone time with a specific dog I may take that dog on a short walk or with me on a nice day, not to hot, not to cold, on a short errand. But this way most of my time spent is with all of them and they get even amount of time. But with a short walk or car ride I don't have to feel guilty about my other dogs not getting the attention they deserve. During the times of year I am super busy, like finals, having the pack mentality really helps out because if I'm not there to give attention they get it from each other!

Now Bailey, who is actually my brother's dog but I take care of her, is a completely different story she is going through rehabilitation(Finally found someone to help me!). She has a severe case of dog aggresion. I have to take her on separate walks unless someone can help me. We maintain a schedule of if I walked my girls last it's Bailey's turn to go next! I'm a very dedicated mommy so they all usually get walked once a day, especially considering all my dogs are athletes with tons of energy including my oldest at 12 years. Depending on the day sometimes they get runs, but if it's above 55 I know it's way to hot for my husky to run:=)

I think everyone's rotation and time is different, I just try to stay tuned to what they are telling me. Sometimes Bailey is ok with just lounging around the house well I go out back with the other dogs, maybe it's to cold that day or she's to tired. Hopes this helps!

Edited by author Mon Jun 10, '13 8:02am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2