GO!

Telepathy between dogs and humans

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Oscar

Canis Angelicus

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 2:12pm PST 
I realize this might sound like woo to some, but has anyone tried giving commands telepathically to their dog? I have been doing this with Oscar and it works. The first time I tried it, he was outside with his back to me looking through the gate, and a called him telepathically to come, and within a couple of seconds he turned around and came to me standing inside by the backdoor. I have had respond to sit and down telepathically also.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 3:55pm PST 
Sorry, but a total skeptic here. He could have smelled you standing there. As to the rest it is amazing the body language we give off. No surprise your dog noted where you were looking or how you postured. As with most things the simplest explanation is usually the best.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 4:18pm PST 
Like Squ'mey said, I would wonder if it's a Clever Hans effect (the human giving off very subtle signals without meaning to). After listening to a presentation by an animal communicator, I tried calling Onyx to me by picturing it happening and thinking the image at him, but it didn't work for me.

That said, I know there are some people who swear by such things, so for all I know I'm just doing it wrong. I suspect many of the people who make money off of claiming to speak mentally with animals are fabricators, but I certainly don't know all the mysteries of the universe, so maybe there's more to it than I give credit for. Would be interesting to test it with Oscar where he can't see you.

Edited by author Wed Jun 5, '13 4:30pm PST

[notify]

Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 5:07pm PST 
I am a skeptic too. Dogs respond to the tiniest nuances that we don't even realize we are giving off. Tiny things like the way we breath, a slight raise of the eyebrow, a change in tension of the mouth - all things that we are not aware that we are doing but things that dogs pick up and are actually a part of the cues we give them.
[notify]
Smokey

Let's play tug!!

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 5:13pm PST 
I'd have to agree with the others. It may be as simple as "why is mom standing still with her back to me? gotta go investigate." Often dogs have a default cue at the ready based on context cues. If I am anywhere near food and kind of glance at Smokey's best friend, I get a military-precision sit, lol.

Edited by author Wed Jun 5, '13 5:13pm PST

[notify]
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 5:14pm PST 
Our dogs communicate to us! Hubby said Princesse kept looking at him then up in the air, back at him, back in the air, back at him until he finally realized she was staring up where their dog food is. He went and put some in her dish and she gobbled it uplaugh out loud
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 5:35pm PST 
I'm with Oscar on this one, and I am the worlds biggest skeptic!!! I LOVE giving commands to my dogs thru telepathic thoughts and am amazed how often they get it!
And, Squam, I can do it when they are not aware I am even around them... they can be shut in their crates behind a closed door and I can be sitting at my desk in another room. I will mentally ask if anyone needs to go out and suddenly one or two of them will get barking/whining, just as if I had verbally asked the same question.
Not ALL of my dogs get it... some are much more receptive, especially those that sleep in my bed with me. Speaking of those, I can get Toto off the bed and looking out the window for someone in the yard just by thinking it mentally, and I swear, I am lying under the covers and do not move at all or give him any physical hint or signal.
I said before, I am a skeptic and this scares me silly!!!!
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 5:52pm PST 
I know without a doubt that Callie tries with me first thing in the morning, gazing at me through those sleepy eyes "C'mon human, don't you want to lay down with your big boy, it's okayyy just five more minutes on this soft pillow, come on you don't want to get up it's not even light yet, come on human I know you hear me, turn off the alarm..."laugh out loud
[notify]
Smokey

Let's play tug!!

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 6:36pm PST 
Toto, how about an intervening variable? Like, you have a good mental alarm clock that knows the usual time between potty breaks?
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 6:48pm PST 
I'm a believer in dogs being champions in reading the tiniest clues of body language.

And I think that I've learned a lot in reading her expressions and body language as well.

We definitely have effective communication.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4