GO!

Ridley's new job

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ridley

Cry cry cry!

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 1:17pm PST 
Thought some of you might get a kick out of this.

Summers in full force and tracking is done until the fall when the weather is a bit more reasonable. Ridley has done amazing, his instructor feels he will easily have his TD by the end of the year.

But in mean time, I have found another job for him!

The park where I take the dogs has several lacrosse fields, all backed up by a bunch of woods and creeks. Obviously, some balls get lost... and we've discovered Ridley's talent for finding them.

The first time he did it I was worried he was after a snake, he dove into the bushes like a wild man... but to my surprise, reappeared a moment later with a lacrosse ball! Interested, I walked along the tree line and gave him his track command ("search"), and in a matter of minutes he produced 3 more lacrosse balls and a couple of tennis balls.

So now its a game. I send him in, he nabs the ball, he gets to play tug as his reward! Today we went back and tried again, scoring a total of 6 balls (one he carried off into the creek and dropped, sadly they do not float!).

I'm going to keep record of our little outings from now on... and once I have a good stockpile of balls, I'm going to bring them all back to the lacrosse teams and present them with a little surprise! laugh out loud

Ridley's big score!

A true "working" dog indeed laugh out loud
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 1:26pm PST 
cheer Yay Ridley! cheer

He'll probably save them lots of ball money.
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 3:56pm PST 
cheer

What a fun way to keep a dog busy, and I'm sure the team will be pleasantly surprised! Good job, Ridley!
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 5:51pm PST 
My cousin's lab made him lots of pocket money by finding golf balls on the nearby golf course. He could even dive for them in the water hazards. Of course, he could only "work" during times the course was closed, which did restrict his totals, but at $5 or $6 a dozen, my cousin did pretty well!
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 9:17pm PST 
That's awesome. cheer Post a video of you can.

Mikey had that ability with tennis balls. Freaked me out with what he'd find and where.
One time he and I were walking next to a 2-3ft retaining wall and up above the retaining wall was lots of ivy. A good foot deep of it. Out of no where, Mikey leaped up on the wall, walked through the ivy, buried his nose and out came a ratty old, nasty tennis ball. That thing had to have been up in there for a few years. How he could smell that, I'll never know, but that was one of many times he'd go off the beaten path to nose out a tennis ball. Freaky.

Have fun.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 10:46pm PST 
What a fantastic idea to keep him busy! JT does this too in the irrigation channel behind the tennis club, but I let him keep them ... They're too gross to be given back anyway.
[notify]
Ridley

Cry cry cry!

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 3:02am PST 
I'll try and get a video the next time I go! It is a riot to watch, he absolutely loves it!

And Toto, haha, I thought about selling them at first, but knowing how people are here they'd probably have some words to say to me for trying to sell back their own balls lol
[notify]
Egypt

Can I play with- the ratz?

Barked: Sat Jun 8, '13 10:37pm PST 
Ridley is a handsome boy!
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Sun Jun 9, '13 8:00am PST 
That's great! Good for him!
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Jun 9, '13 9:18am PST 
applauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplause for Ridley. Nice that he found a good outlet for his energy. Handsome and smart a great combo.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2