GO!

Flexi-lead rant

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 49)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue May 14, '13 12:00am PST 
Dahliabig laugh Thanks for that. I thought the flexi one was funny so I poked around the site. I have been sitting here with tears running down my face, trying not to wake the neighbors laughing for an hour. The scared dog cracked me up so bad I had to scroll past it to keep reading.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Tue May 14, '13 12:53am PST 
Ah, Dog Snobs. The only dog page on the web I actually really like anymore. Nothing but anigifs and fabulous snark.
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Tue May 21, '13 10:10am PST 
I know I am late to chime in on this thread. But for my self and my small dogs I love using flexi leashes, but I am very responsible when using the leashes. I keep the leash locked at about 5 or 6 feet long when walking and if it is safe I will let him have more freedom. They are very nice to use on wooded trails I keep the dogs close to me around others and dogs but if there is no one around on the trail I let them run. I only use the belted flexi Not the cord kind. I do think 95% of people are clueless on how to use the leashes and they never lock them even by busy roads or they let there dog go up to people or dogs. I beg everyone on here to not use the cord/rope flexi leash, I had one and had the dog in the yard playing fetch I had shorts on as the dog ran for the ball the flexi rubbed and cut the back of my leg it left a scar and I still to this day have that scar there. It hurt bad when it rubbed full speed on bare skin. Never again will I use the rope kind only the belt flexi from now on. I also will never use one with a bigger sized dog, I think dogs under 30 lbs are okay, I hate seeing 100 lbs dogs on the thin cord leash pulling like crazy i fear it will snap in half.

naughtynaughty
[notify]

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Tue May 21, '13 10:21am PST 
Thank you Dahliabig laughbig laughbig laugh

PS I DID use a leash on several kids...mesh...dog walk

Edited by author Tue May 21, '13 10:23am PST

[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue May 21, '13 4:40pm PST 
Several comments.

I personally do not use Flexi's. I just don't like them. I also see many not using them properly,that however is not the fault of the tool,it is the person behind it.

Cobain- Just wondering? Do you have something specific against Akitas? While I am the first to admit they are not a breed for everyone,they can in fact be excellent companions,get along with other dogs,and are no more dangerous than any other large,powerful breed. I have worked long and hard to make mine well behaved,well trained,socialized members of society. The dog is only as bad as the owner is irresponsible and ignorant of what they are getting into.

Ophelia- My grandmother used to use a leash for my brother when he was little,he is now 55 but at age 2 while leashed,he barked at and bit my grandmothers insurance agent.big laugh Be careful leashing those kids.big laughbig laugh
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Tue May 21, '13 5:05pm PST 
Well, since originally posting, I've been watching carefully and STILL haven't seen anyone using retractable leashes correctly. Instead, I've just seen more of the following:

My neighbor down the block walks his very friendly lab on a flexi. This dog manages to tangle himself around my legs and/or my dog's leash almost every time we meet. Today, they walked past my yard (Lupi and I were sitting outside) and the dog had so much line available, he came all the way up to my front step, laid down and refused to move! His owner was pulling on the leash, trying to get him back, but it's the dog who clearly has power advantage with those types of leashes. It was quite comical, but Webster has also been known to lay down in the middle of the street! I just have no clue why they don't use a normal leash.
[notify]
Hershey Bear

Silly old bear

Barked: Tue May 21, '13 7:42pm PST 
I absolutely hate flexi-leads. 99% of the people I see use them just let their dog go to the very end of the lead and have no control over the dog whatsoever.
[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Tue May 21, '13 8:13pm PST 
I never thought I would use a flexi-lead; however, my sister's dog Echo (20 lbs) is a stickler about staying right behind me close to my heels (and I don't think she was ever really taught to heel, it's just natural for her) whenever I walk her...it was getting frustrating walking her (when I walked two dogs anyhow) because the lines kept dragging and getting underfoot, etc. Switched to a flexi for her and it was amazing how much better it was to walk her. They are def not for all dogs, but they do have their place. And walking her never looks like this: dog walk
[notify]
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Tue May 21, '13 9:04pm PST 
I use my flexi for those mornings when it's cold, I'm grumpy, and Jasper needs to go downstairs to pee. I stand at the top, he trots down to pee on his favorite bush, he generally trips on the stairs coming back up because he's as clumsy as I am, and then we go back to bed until we're ready to face the day.

I had Star at the vet's office once for an emergency (she jabbed her eye on something and was in a lot of pain) and some woman comes in with a teenaged lab puppy on a flexi and NO CONTROL. What kind of idiot lets their dog bounce all over dogs at the vet's office?! It's not a dog park, it's a place for dogs who are not feeling well! Of course, said puppy tried to bounce on Star's face, and I flipped out. When I got to the vet, I was so mad that I asked "Do people's brains just dribble out their ears when they have a friendly dog?!" The vet burst out laughing and said "Many times, yes" (Obviously this is not true of most of the folks here, I think the average dogster is a step above the average dog owner)
[notify]
  (Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 49)  
1  2  3  4  5