GO!

Flexi-lead rant

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 3 of 5: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 4:29am PST 
Sabi said: My personal experience has been that they are used by lazy, rude owners who are content to let their dogs be hazards and nuisances.
I have used retractable leads for the past 40 years and I have never had one break (I ONLY use Flexi) or never had any dog run into traffic, get in a fight, wipe out a bicyclist, or any out of control behavior.
I use them when traveling and they are PERFECT for rest stops when getting a dog who is used to peeing/pooping in the privacy of their own back yard to go while on the road. Frankly, I do not want to handle a long lead that has been dragged thru who knows what in a travel rest stop. It is not only disgusting, it is dangerous as it exposes both myself AND my dogs to all kinds of nasty parasites and diseases, not to mention the fact that I have to smell it for the rest of the trip.
I can and do walk three at a time, and frankly, I resent being called lazy and rude because I use one for the purpose it was intended for. Not one of my dogs on a retractable lead has ever been a hazard or a nuisance.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 7:09am PST 
Retractable leashes are the current demon leashes that are taboo. I really don't see a big difference between a long line and a flexi. My dog walks slightly better on a long line, but like Toto I think the flexi is way easier to manage. I have both types. I made the long line before I got a hold of a flexi. My dog was walking good on regular leashes before I used the Flexi.

People should not blame the tool, blame the handler. Also accidents do happen. I have seen bad handling with the regular leashes. People should train their dogs and use some common sense when choosing a leash. Retractable leashes are not for everydog. I feel like my dog graduated to a flexi.
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 7:15am PST 
Toto, Fritz, Milton and Missy (and anyone else who actually knows how to use these leashes!)-you are definitely the exception to the rule. I agree with JT, who posited that they were about as useful as walking your dog off-leash.
I once dog-sat this dog who only had a flexi (or some kind of retractable) leash and it was clear he had no idea how to walk on a leash. He just did whatever he wanted, since the locking mechanism was broken, and he had tons of slack. His owners freely admitted that they were to lazy to train him to walk on a leash, so the flexi was their compromise for the leash laws.
Although I am absolutely certain that those dogsters who use them are NOT lazy or thoughtless, I truly believe retractable leashes are not for the average dog owner. There is so much potential for disaster.
[notify]

Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 7:27am PST 
I personally find a flexi MUCH safer than a long line for Missy. I have instant control on a flexi, can reel her back in within seconds. A long line not so much. The one time i used a long line was when we visited a very dog populated beach ( didn't know at that time ). I had Missy sitting inside our beach tent, i was sitting on top of her long line, a dog passed by our tent and she was outta there and at the dog within a spit second. I didn't have enough control of the lead and was reeling it in for what seemed like forever!

It's not fair to make sweeping statements, just as it's not fair to say every owner who uses a halti/harness/prong/choke etc is lazy and incompetent. I've never had any problems using the lead, as others here haven't.
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 8:30am PST 
I wish you responsible and experienced flexi users were my neighbors.
[notify]
Gunther

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 8:36am PST 
I agree on all points. Hate Flexis unless they're used by responsible people like you guys.

At our park, people don't even use Flexis. We had to stop taking Gunther to this certain park because people kept bringing their Pit mixes and letting them run off lead. These dogs are NOT friendly to small dogs and will make aggressive chase. It's just ridiculous. My Dog is always on a leash and yet these people don't get fined for anything, despite the fact that this park is a LEASH ONLY zone.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 9:12am PST 
Y'know... I'm going to go ahead and say that I, too, wish you guys were my neighbors instead of those who use them irresponsibly. However, just as with ANY tool, there's idiots in bunches that use them and either don't know how, or don't care to know how(properly).

I've seen far too many people using them irresponsibly and I too, have never ever seen someone use them properly. I'm not saying those people aren't out there... But I mean.. I've seen people using them in combination with prong collars and Halti's(what's the point!?), and letting dogs go up to all sorts of people or other animals, letting their dogs misbehave or harass others, wander out into streets, getting DRAGGED by their dogs because the dog hits the end of the leash and the owner goes flying, dog fights, nearly causing accidents or getting hit by cars, charging my dog, you name it. Size of dog doesn't matter, I still feel a regular 6' leash is safer and better.

That said, I won't dispute that there are likely people who use them properly. I just have yet to see it. I also have yet to see anyone in person using a prong collar properly, an e-collar properly, see dozens of people misusing Halti's, and various other training tools. Doesn't mean there aren't those out there that use them properly. But you DO get A LOT of lazy people misusing them because they want a 'quick fix' and don't care to learn how to use it for what it's meant for.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 11:27am PST 
If used properly I am certain that they are a useful tool. And I did say "in my PERSONAL experience."

FYI Charlie the crazy dog lady uses flexi's. Hence the dogs leaping on peoples fences, harassing protective bitches guarding young pups and getting their toes nipped.shrug Watch Ria.

ETA Milton, I wouldn't walk my dog on a long line near a road or other peoples yards either. And I do use a long line.

Edited by author Fri May 10, '13 11:33am PST

[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 12:56pm PST 
Thanks for the heads up Sabi!
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 4:02pm PST 
Wow Lupi luckily no dog got killed, but come on pay attention to your dog and not allow it to run into the road!

I'm not against flexi leash as they can be nice, but come one people learn how to use them.

I've had dogs come running to Saya while owner was on the other side of the aisle busy looking at toys..

Luckily Saya listens to me and we walked off and I yelled to the person to reel in your dog it is causing me to not be able to shop.

I'm not against my dog meeting another dog, but I'd like the other owner to be attentive in case their dog gets rough or needs to go away..

They're great for freedom in the field, but enough control if the dog doesn't listen..

Also careful to not drop the flexi leash I've seen few incidence on forums where it happened to a puppy and once to adult dog and it scared the puppy so bad it ran away and emptied it's anal glands.. frown
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 5: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5