GO!

Flexi-lead rant

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 5: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu May 9, '13 3:46pm PST 
I agree with Moose. I do get nervous seeing really big doggies on flex leads sometimes, kind of like walking an elephant on a kite string. If the dog and owner do well with them though it's greatsmile

My dogs could probably snap a woven mesh leash if they really wanted to so I could never try a flex lead. I've got one Leedz leash and two double mesh leashes. You just have to find what works with you and your dog.

Edited by author Thu May 9, '13 3:47pm PST

[notify]
Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Thu May 9, '13 4:27pm PST 
I don't think flexis are safe for big dogs. I walked Clyde using my grandma's heavy-duty flexi (my uncle gave it to her after his GSD passed on) while I was in her large unfenced yard. He had the after-car-ride zoomies, hence couldn't be trusted off-leash yet. He pulled through the lock and nearly pulled the thing from my hand with how hard he was towing me.

Most people I see with flexis seem to be fairly responsible with them, my grandmother included. I do tend to walk Clyde in the morning to avoid dogs, so it may just be a case of us going at a time when most of the responsible owners are out for similar reasons. Or maybe it's just that those types don't even bother to leash their dogs at all in my area...confused
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Thu May 9, '13 4:35pm PST 
I hate flexi leashes. So, so much more than I can possibly say here.

I've lost count of the number of times dogs on flexi leashes have run up to me, usually while I'm running with Noah, barking and going crazy. A couple times I've fallen because Noah swerves to avoid the dog, crashes into me and I stumble and fall. Really hurts when you're sprinting.

And don't get me started on people who use them with walking their dog with a prong collar or Gentle Leader confused

I work in a Petco and I constantly see owners paying at the register and their dog is literally out the door because the flexi leash is unlocked. Or, better yet, I'll be training dogs in the aisles and a dog will come around the corner with the owner 10 feet behind it, totally oblivious.

The one upside to them: Seeing a huge guy try and hold a tiny little flexi leash while walking a small dog. Whose hands are small enough for those things?
[notify]

Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Thu May 9, '13 4:45pm PST 
Months ago a very aggressive akita on a flexi attacked my dog. My dog was off-leash but was standing by my feet. The akita handler walked by my vehicle. Her dog ran up and grabbed my dog by his jacket. Then the dog shook him. He was stretched out pretty far on the flexi. I don't think the akita handler knew Milton was there. He let Milton go after the handler drug him off. Milton thanfully was not hurt because the dog had him by the coat.

There are dogs who should not be on flexis, but I think the leashes get undeserved hate. First of all the knock off ones should be avoided, they are the ones that break. The real Flexis are good quality leashes. I have dropped mine many times and had it for years. Flexi is not a type of leash but a brand. Retractable leashes are a type.

I use one for my dog in public areas. He is off-leash most of the time. He does good on the Flexi and it allows him to do hound stuff. He can smell more on them. I also have a few other types of leashes. I had him on a slip lead and once the pulling ceased I started using a flexi.
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Thu May 9, '13 5:03pm PST 
I hate when people have their little dogs on them at the outdoor mall and insist on letting them walk right up to my dogs. Kashmir is not friendly on leash and will snap at dogs when they get in her face. I politely tell people and they most ignore me ugh and then get mad when she snaps at their dog!! I hate flexi leads I admit i do have one but never use it. It hangs in the garage, ill bring it to the beach but thats about it. I'd rather use a long line than a flexi any day!
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 12:02am PST 
I hate them for any size dog. If someone is using them right, I have yet to see it. What I have seen is two dogs killed by cars, 3 more injured by cars, one near fatal traffic accident caused by the driver trying not to kill the dog, countless dog fights, a dog attack, a cat killed, several bicycle accidents and dozens of cases were dogs are roaming on other peoples property.
If that is just what I see what is going on everywhere else. My personal experience has been that they are used by lazy, rude owners who are content to let their dogs be hazards and nuisances.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 12:24am PST 
Most owners around here use a flexi or nothing at all. And I'd say the results are pretty much the same. laugh out loud
[notify]
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 3:20am PST 
I agree if they are used properly for an appropriate sized dog, maybe they are OK. Personally, I don`t have one I don`t want one. I am quite happy with Princesse`s long leash tied to her short one. I roll it up and hold the handle of the short one on sidewalks and let it out and hold the handle of the long one in appropriate settings, like the yard, parks, and the walking trails.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 3:25am PST 
The thought of Bunny ( a reactive dog) on a flexi leash .... *shudders*. In all fairness, I did almost run over a dog that was on a long lead (not a retractable leash)and ran into the road a couple of years ago. Thankfully I was able to avoid it. The person walking the dog was a young girl who obviously didn't have the experience to know that if you are walking a dog on a sidewalk,it should not be on a long leash`of any kindfrown

edited for clarity

Edited by author Fri May 10, '13 3:26am PST

[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 3:55am PST 
hugSabi,
I have Flexi leads (the real ones, tape type and correctly sized)for everyone. They are about 12 feet long. (short but long enough for a l little sniffing around)

Our Flexi's are only used walking on our property in the unfenced area, at the park or somewhere similar. Anytime we are near the road or other dogs the leads are locked at 4ft. If we are going to petsmart, vets office, or somewhere in town, we use mesh leashes.

I promise I am not a lazy slob of a dog owner and you will never see one of my pack running up to people on a flexi, getting into the street, or bothering you in any way. hug

I know some people,....well a lot of people are stupid with the flexi but there are a few of us who aren't. I would guess Milton is another responsible Flexi user.

Have a nice day.blue dog
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 5: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5