GO!

x post from Travel .... Travel Anxiety

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Ranger

Stranger Danger- Rescue Ranger is- ready!

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 11:05am PST 
Hi all,

I have a two year old border collie mix that I adopted a little over a month ago. I was looking for a dog that was good with cats, had the energy to go hiking/walking/camping/dog sports, good in the car and a generally happy dog. Ranger is everything that I could have hoped for....except in the car.

Ranger walks to the car and hops in without question, but immediately starts to drool. I'm not talking a little drool, I'm talking coats the hatchback, himself and the floor with mucusy type drool which pours from his mouth.

He is willing to take treats in the car and ONLY drives to fun places (dog parks) to try and make the experience more inviting. I take corners and speed changes slowly, dont feed him for at least an hour before we go, drive with the windows down, no loud music and have tried the Thundershirt on him (that was a waste of money).

It's such a shame because I got Ranger with the intention of having him with me 24/7 except for when I am working. However, it doesn't look fun to him and it's hard taking him to friend's houses as the drool continues for about 30 minutes after we arrive at our destination.

Currently I drive a Honda Fit with has the dog gate in the back so he rides in the hatch. I have tried leaving him free and having him attached in the back.

I have some new non-drowsy anxiety meds that I am going to be trying him on this weekend, but I would love some non-drug related options to try.
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Wed May 1, '13 4:35pm PST 
Unfortunately, we have the same problem. We've had our dog for a year and a half and she drools like crazy on car trips, even short ones.

We find tiring her out before a trip helps. Sometimes, having a bed in the car helps her as well.

Our vet says she'll grow out of it... but I'm not sure. It does stink.
[notify]
Ranger

Barked: Thu May 2, '13 6:58am PST 
Where does your dog go in the car? Do you find there is a difference as to whether they're in the back or not?

I've noticed now that with the Thundershirt he doesn't drool as much (barely any on the trip out, not coated on the way back); however, it's still not the best yet.

Ranger's two and I've been told he'll grow out of it too, but I am not convinced yet...
[notify]

Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Thu May 2, '13 8:48am PST 
hm...

Jake does that mucousy drool thing when he's distressed about me leaving the house.

Have you tried a phermone collar attached with the thundershirt? I used this combination for a whiel when leaving jake at home and at least the drooling stopped in terms of his anxiety.

I also inforce a DAP spray and release apparatus in my home.

Can he be kenneled? He might feel more secure being trasported in a kennel.
[notify]
Ranger

Barked: Thu May 2, '13 10:45am PST 
My car can't really support a kennel the size he would need with access to the door for him to get in...I do have a small car lol.

I may try one of those collars and see if that works in conjunction. Do I leave it on all the time, or just put it on prior to travel?
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Thu May 2, '13 2:42pm PST 
i let jake wear the phermone collar all the time except when we went to the dog park (no anxiety there) big grin. So you coudl put it on inside and then leave it on in the car and while you're out i guess. it doesn't do any harm and they tend to smell nice.
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Sat May 4, '13 6:22pm PST 
I have sort of the same problem with Kashmir. She doesnt drool but she will pant and get herself all worked up while in the car. When i had my first car she would sit, laydown and settle in the backseat. After changing cars 2 times, she wont settle or even sit. I could be driving for 3 hours and she will stand the whole time. Im picking up a thundershirt soon to see if that helps. But good luck with Ranger.
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Sun May 5, '13 8:50pm PST 
Typically she is in the backseat of our sedan and in the trunk of our hatchback. We don't restrain her, as that made things really bad... crying, barking, straining to get out. We have tried crating her in the car, but that didn't seem to help. She also hates the windows being open... sigh. We love our dog, but the car anxiety has been a real struggle.

We've tried the thundershirt and some treats that are supposed to be calming. We haven't tried dramamine or benadryl or the collar.

At this point, we're happy that she jumps into the car on her own and doesn't always resist when being led to the car. The drooling is an issue and at times, she throws up (I think from drooling sooo much). We've gotten really good at covering the car and cleaning up drool. Target sells a cheap waterproof matteress cover that we've purchased that helps.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Sun May 5, '13 11:30pm PST 
Have you considered that this might not be an anxiety issue but a car sickness issue?

From your descriptions, it sounds like these dogs are feeling really yucky about being in the car (I can relate!! Motion sickness is a disgusting feeling). I would be trying some sort of anti-nausea med before anything else.

ETA: Ginger is supposed to help ease motion sickness. I'm not sure of the dosage though.

Edited by author Sun May 5, '13 11:34pm PST

[notify]
Ranger

Barked: Mon May 6, '13 6:21am PST 
I had thought about it, but it seems to be getting a little better with the thundershirt now (slightly better) and that wouldn't happen with motion sickness would it?

The other day I gave him a chew in the back and it seemed to work a bit (keeping his attention on something) so we might try a bully stick or something for ONLY travel.
[notify]