GO!

Thundershirt for stressfull situations?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 4:58pm PST 
Well Kashmir is normally not a stressed out dog. Looking at my work schedule, I work over Memorial day weekend and my parents are going camping and they always bring Zoe. They tell me that 2 dogs is hard to handle when i am not there blah blah blah, so they leave Kash at home. Normally thats not a problem, but when i am working the whole weekend 10 hour shifts..i cant leave her home alone that long. I am able to bring her to work with me, but she would have to sit in a kennel for my entire shift. She has come to work with me before and she hated it!! She sat in the cage and growled and shaked the whole time. If I cant find someone to watch her while i am at work and have to brign her; will a thundershirt help? I have never used one before but any suggestions are welcome.

Edited by author Thu Apr 25, '13 4:59pm PST

[notify]
(Indie) CH- Herdabout- Tri N 4 I

HURRY UP!

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 2:59pm PST 
Well...I have used the Thundershirt on both Quin and Indie for car rides.

I was very skeptical about it and thought what is this piece of fabric gonna do? I even tried a tight shirt once and it did not have the same effect lol

So....Indie used to have bad car issues (shaking, whining, trembling, vomiting, drooling) and for an agiility and conformation dog it was a pain.. he would get all grooemd up for a conformation show and when he got to the trial he was soaked in drool smile After 3 rides in the car with it on he is prefectly fine. The drooling decreased ad then stopped over the 3 car rides.

Quin has general anxiety issues and in the car he paces, circles, wont lay down and pants...with the Thundershirt he is able to lay down and actualyl sleep!

Now like everything, for some animals it doesn't work. The company does have a guarantee so it is worth a try! smile
[notify]
Queen- Belladonna- PSDiT

I'm a Queen who- works like a- pesant

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 6:49pm PST 
Bella had many fear issues when she first came to us because her now former owner did nothing with her save give her food and water, let her out at night when she got home from work and let her in of a morning. Bella had never been in a crate because she was given run of the house along with the ladys elderly boarder collie and her small dogs. Bella was given to this woman at 3 months old and although I walked her three days a week Bella was not all that confidant a dog. When she came to stay with us while her owner was away was when I found out how bad her issues were. I couldnt leave her home alone in her crate because she would hurt herself and the crate trying to escape it. So I bought and tried the thundershirt on her and the first night it was on her it took about ten minutes before she settled down and went to sleep. After about three weeks she got to a point that she no longer needed it. I knew that her owner was home when we went into where she worked and she was there. I asked her when she was going to come after Bella but was told that she wanted to rehome her because she was too much dog for her. I offered to help her with that but she needed A LOT of training before we could even try to find her a home. Before Bella could be rehomed Maggie my husky died and my husband noticed that Bella was bonding with me so he told me that he wasnt going to make me rehome Bella. Since we first used the Thundershirt with her though we rarely have to use it anymore unless there is something like a storm coming up or our ex rommmate comes over. She is afraid of him because he kicked her for playing with Tundra and we think he has abused her just because she barked at a rabbit in the yard before we moved. So in answer to your question Yes the Thundershirt may help your dog and I say give it a shot.
[notify]

Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 6:16am PST 
Kashmir good luck on the long weekendsmilehug

wave Indie. That is quite the recommendation. I have thought about the Thundershirt off and on but now I thinking really hard. I had no idea it was good for car anxiety as well thinking

Edited by author Sat Apr 27, '13 6:16am PST

[notify]
Ranger

Stranger Danger- Rescue Ranger is- ready!

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 6:27am PST 
I have a thundershirt for Ranger and didn't believe that it was working, but you say that it can take more than a couple times? Maybe I will keep using it on him when in the car and see if it gets progressively better or not.
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 12:25pm PST 
Wow thanks for the responses everyone. cheer I think i will invest in one at least for the car anxiety. She truly never settles in the car like Zoe does. And maybe do a trial run while i am at work for a short shift and see how it does. Thanks again. way to go
[notify]
(Indie) CH- Herdabout- Tri N 4 I

HURRY UP!

Barked: Tue May 7, '13 5:17pm PST 
Hey Bunny, Ranger and Kashmir!

Yes, it can take several tries for the full effect to occur. Indie's drolling lessened and after a couple car rides he was ok. I did also learn that he likes his crate being able to see out a window or see a person. I also do not feed him within 2 hours of a car ride smile

I tried to get the Thundershirt for my sister's Dachshund that was having realyl bad seperation issues (both her and her bf have to be around or he whines) but she tried it for 3 days and gave up...I told her you need to wait it out, but she just gave up...it is a 100% money back guarantee wink
[notify]