GO!

How to show your dog who's boss . . . . sigh . . ..

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 4:33pm PST 
https://acadogs.com/Who_Is_The_Boss.html

Alright, I know everybody has opinions about how dogs might be dominating us, but this site goes pretty far!
Two quotes:

"2. If, when you are walking him, your dog puts the leash in his mouth, he is telling you he is a higher pack member."

Has anyone every heard this one, though?!!!

"When a pack member licks the inner ear and belly of another pack member, this is what a dog considers as hugging and kissing. This greeting process shows that you are the caregiver and protector of the pack. No, you do not have to lick your dog. Merely place your four fingers together forming what is like a large “cow’s” tongue. Then, in a licking type of motion, use your four fingers (held together side by side) as if you were licking your dog’s inner ear area and belly area. Go back and forth between these two areas. Once you stop, the dog will automatically sniff you. They cannot help themselves. It is an instinctual “knee jerk” reaction. They smell you to imprint your scent particles and subconsciously log you in their mind as a higher pack member and caregiver. Remember dogs do not remember by sight, they remember by scent!"

Ok, that second quote is kinda out there, whoa . . .eek
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 5:29pm PST 
Okay... about that swamp land you're sellinglaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 1:44am PST 
Because alpha wolves always put the leash in their mouth when they walk their pack members. laugh out loud

I think I'd rather people 'finger licking' (finger lickin' goood!) than alpha rolling, though.
[notify]

"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 6:21am PST 
I am not sure how I can stick my finger-cow-tongue in my dog's ear. They like an inner ear rub with one finger, but can't fit any more than one.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 7:59am PST 
Man, my dog is just all kinds of dominant over me. I mean I knew things like sauntering through doors before me, daring to touch his food before I've eaten, gallivanting around in front of me on hikes, demanding pets, assaulting me with his paws, and having the audacity to sleep on my bed were all signs he was an out of control alpha monster, but now I need to stop him from licking my ears too! According to this fine piece of literature, he's going to bite me any day now, so I better get my act together and start cow licking.
[notify]
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 9:07am PST 
Mine get cow licking daily---it is called tummy rubs smile

How come with humans, the person carrying everything is the servant but in dogs if he carries things he is the boss??
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 9:15am PST 
I do something similar with Moose, using a "cows tongue" kind of thing with my hand.

When I walk in the front door after I get home from work, I take my hand and spread my fingers out and turn my hand palm side down. As I approach Moose, I take said hand and I apply the palm to the top of his head. I then run my hand down his neck and back, stopping before I get to his tail, patting him on the ribs gently, repeating this process 2 or 3 times.
Moose's "knee jerk" reaction is to bring me a toy and sniff my legs and hands and imprint my scent in his brain.

It's only because of this that Moose knows that I'm the boss. Moose would be out of control if I didn't perform this ritual every day.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 10:07am PST 
I toadly agree with Onyx, especially after skimming Cesar's latest book-he's a likable guy but wouldn't follow his philosophy fer poop. It seems everything we're doing letting them relax on the bed, sharing food, even...gasp...letting them walk through the doorway first...means they're walking all over us. Hey we're happy, they're happy if this is the case it works for ushappy dancehappy dancehappy dancehappy dancehappy dancehappy dance
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 10:27am PST 
I wonder why a big "cow's tongue" and not a dog's tongue? big laugh

What about when my dog is dragging her leash around and takes it in her mouth when nobody's holding it? Is she telling herself that she's higher ranking than herself? thinking laugh out loud

I was thinking about this the other day, you know how some dogs take exception to being pushed out of a comfy spot and growl (supposedly a sign of trying to be dominant and disrespect) but I wonder has anyone heard of a dog coming up and physically shoving a comfy human off the couch? Now THAT might be a dog trying to take over!laugh out loud
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 12:11pm PST 
I still say, Swamp Land!!! It's amazing any one of us hasn't been totally dethrowned by our dogs!!!
My dogs don't DARE to challenge me...they KNOW I will stop going to work every day if they dog and then who would provide toys and treats and food for them?????

BUT, wait a minute...they are contradicting themselves... everyone knows that the submissive wolves are the ones that lick and "kiss" the pack leader's ears and belly, thereby showing him that they are the followers and HE is the leader...soo, if we follow number two we are assigning ourselves to being a pack subordinate, NOT a pack leader, right??

Edited by author Fri Apr 26, '13 12:16pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3