GO!

Walking and clicker trainer 2 dogs at once?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 5:17pm PST 
In the interest of saving time tonight, I decided to walk both dogs at once, since it is now nice enough to take Princesse out. I don't know who was more confused, me or Princesse. The thing is, Bunny is the one that needs training. Princesse is naturally well behaved on walks. Bunny is reactive and a puller. We are making progress with clicker training but poor Princesse wasn't getting very many treats, even though she was behaving! Then of course, there is the whole issue of the clicker clicking and her not getting anything. Should I just keep on walking them separately until we have worked through Bunny's issues ( which could be a long process) or is there a way around this?
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 2:08am PST 
If it was me I would walk them separately for now. I have walked JT with a smaller dog before but the poor thing was getting dragged pillar to post. I was worried if he rushed another dog the she would be garroted. Also clicking and treating while walking two sounds like a real pain and will probably not be very good for your timing.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 8:31am PST 
I think it would be best if you did give them walks separately. You said it yourself, the other dog has not been getting the same amount of treats as Bunny. In her point of view, it may seem unfair and you want to avoid that.
[notify]

Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 9:18am PST 
I make sure that my dogs know their names. Then I work on giving cues to one. Example: Wiley..(looks) sit! mark/treat. If Squam sits also..no treat. Then I switch. I also add "2 dogs!" That means I expect both to respond..and BOTH must respond to earn the treats. That lends itself to a bit of dog to dog training. Wiley just glares at Squam until he also complies..."hey doofus..sit or I don't get a treat! She said come..get moving!"
On walks, I would give Wiley a cue, then mark the response, but delay the treat. Then I'd work on Squ'mey & mark/treat on a higher reinforcement schedule. I would take Squam on his own to help speed things along.
It does work, but you do need to be aware of your timing & your body position. I face the dog I'm addressing & "ignore" the dog I'm not..even if he's throwing behaviours like crazy.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 5:26pm PST 
Squ'mey I think that is awesome advice for inside the housesmile I do think that walking them separately is better until Bunny is better behaved on walks. The thing is, I don't need Princesse to sit and look at me, she is not the one barking and lunging at bikes , cars and fast moving people. She doesn't pay any attention to that stuff . Bunny, on the other hand....
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 3:17am PST 
Thank you JT and guest as well. I walked them separately last night and it was much better. I was able to better focus on Bunny and his issues and Princesse and I had a relaxing walksmile
[notify]

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 9:06am PST 
You're welcome. I once tried walking both of my dogs at the same time and it was a riot. My younger dog practically had all of my attention and it kind of bothered my older dog. Though I wasn't clicker training them that time, it still wasn't a good idea at all.
[notify]