GO!

Need a little help with walks...

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Sassy

~Hyper yet as- smart as can be~-

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 4:22pm PST 
Well, my one year old lab mix is horrible on walks. She pulls and pulls and pulls and no matter what I do I can't stop her. I get so frusterated that I feel like hitting her... But I don't want her to be afraid so all I do is pull her close to me and pet her for a momentent to calm me down. We weren't even close to being down with our walk when I decided I'd had enough and drug her back to the house.

Now, I thought I had this problem fixed a while back. I had her walking okay on the leash and I felt pretty good about myself. Then, my neighbor joins me on a walk one day and did nothing at all to help my training (He would run ahead and try to get her to pull on the leash.) I told him several times not to do that but that just made him do it more. Since then I've refused to go on a walk with him but Sassy's good behaviour had already been affected.

Now, she pulls to the side instead of forward. I do all I can but I find it hard to correct that sort of pulling. I used to stop and wait for her but she's now too strong for me to be able to stand in one place without being pulled over. So, I've tried jerking the leash sharply whenever she pulls. This works when she's in front of me but not when she's trying to pull to the side. I've tried not leaving the house when she's excited, I've tried turning around and walking the other way when she pulls, I've tried warning her when she begins to pull, I've tried treats, everything!

The turn around method worked until she started pulling to the side. I can't really turn and walk across a busy road with cars going down it at 60 miles per hour, can I? So I gave up that.

What else can I do? The only I can think of is make my step dad come along. He's the only one that she will listen to... She listens to me but only when I have treats. But I really don't want him to come because we don't exactly get along the greatest...

Any help?
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 5:22pm PST 
What exactly are you walking her with in terms of equipment? What type of leash? Collar? Harness? What are you using?
[notify]
Sassy

~Hyper yet as- smart as can be~-

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 6:16pm PST 
Just a regular nylon collar and leash. The leash is probably around 5 foot long.
[notify]

The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 8:50pm PST 
I always kept my dogs on a tight leash right by my side. Any pulling and they would get a quick jerk. Loki will now walk perfectly by my side with a loose leash. Todd and Angus will to once their initial excitement wears off.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 3:07am PST 
When I'm not in the mood to be yanked around the neighbourhood I use an easy walk harness, it's a front clip one. He can still go side to side in it as is his pleasure but it really takes the oomph out of the pull. It's not too bad in that regard at all because the dog has nothing to haul against. I would give that a try.

I also exercise my dog at home before we walk to bring down the excitement. We do heeling lessons inside too, I use food to lure him into position, it helps if you do a few lessons a week.
[notify]