GO!

Training with no help?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 11:02am PST 
Well I still live at home and the other day printed up steps to keep Kashmir from barking at the window. I also put some treats in the end table so when she is quiet she gets a treat. Its super simple, but when i showed my family, they basically laughed at it. They refuse to help follow the steps to help Kashmir learn to not bark at the window. So how can I keep up the training when I am the only one following it? I worry that when i go to work or class, they just let her bark and then yell at her to shut up! I pretty much have given up trying to tell them.
[notify]
Smokey

Let's play tug!!

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 10:39pm PST 
Can you leave her in a quiet room, maybe with a loud fan running or some classical music playing?
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 6:57am PST 
I don't have any advice, I do like Smokey's advice though if they can't give her the treat from the end table. But I just wanted to say I know your pain. No matter what I'm doing with my boys, my family pretty much refuses to participate. Simple things like asking the dogs to sit and wait for their dinner my family won't do. Sometimes my dad tries, but he doesn't do it as he should and he's yelling 'STAY! STAY! NO! STAY" and the dogs are just confused. Crash is also proving somewhat reactive with other dogs, and I'm feeling overwhelmed trying to work on it myself and so I'm setting up something with a trainer and my parents don't understand why I'm stressed or worry about it. They don't get it, because they don't walk him. They're not the ones dealing with him when he loses his mind barking like an idiot, they're not the ones trying to walk so you avoid other dogs just to avoid all that crazy barking. One time Crash saw another dog and started barking and pulling at the end of the leash and this one lady picked up her small dog and told me I shouldn't have my aggressive animal out and I should control him better. When he saw the other dog I immediately shortened up his 6 ft leash and tried to get him to the other way... it's not like I stood there and let him get anywhere near her precious dog or her. My family takes no participation in exercising the dogs or training the dogs. They've never straight up laughed in my face at least... but I know your frustration when a dog needs work on something that requires the whole family and they won't do their part. Extremely frustrating. cry
[notify]

Merlin- **ADOPTED**

BOING!

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 7:46am PST 
You're either going to have to get them on board, keep Kashmir away from the window whenever you're not around to work with her, or give up on having her not bark out the window. Unfortunately, consistency is key. If you're going to reward her for being good and not barking and your family is going to let her bark, then she's never going to improve.
[notify]
Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 9:18am PST 
I can relate, at least partially.

My parents have a very barky dog. She barks at other dogs and anything she finds suspicious. She is scared but I think she also barks sometimes because she has always barked there. My father knows I like to train dogs but does not understand that if I train Pipsa not to bark, I fear, she might be in square one after a while because she I think that the person who lives with the dog should also teach it to get lasting results. I would be glad to teach my dad to train Pipsa if he wanted. My mother, I think, just lives with the problem. She either tells Pipsa to shut up, or avoids situations where she barks.

Also, Pipsa and Alva don't get well along. They do not fight or anything but it is clearly visible that Pipsa does not enjoy Alva's presence. I am not sure why their relationship is such but I suspect that their temperaments are just so different including Pipsa's sensitive nature and Alva's stubborness, a few clashes (Alva is a food guarder when it's about other dogs) and that I should have introduced them in a different way.

An I and my mother have totally different views why they are like they are and what should be done if they should share a home. Well, they don't have to but there was a time when I spent a lot of time at their place with Alva.

It is so frustrating when you cannot convince a family member to cooperate. They think that it is time consuming, doesn't work, is useless, is not their business, is too difficult, or is too laborious. But if you can turn them and get them to include your training procedures into their routines, after a while they do not even notice it and think it's easy. Maybe you could persuade them to see what perks your training program could produce (less bark, less yelling at the dog, more comfortable houselife) and that the training doesn't work if people are not consistent.
[notify]
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 10:15am PST 
I can so relate to this. I have told hubby over and over how to handle Princesse's barking. He mostly says " I forgot" and just yells at her to be quiet. Then he wonders why she still barks. *sigh*
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 1:26pm PST 
Thanks for the responses. She is actually doing a lot better with quiet and then not barking. But they still do it wrong *sighs* but they at least stopped yelling at her to shut up. Well that's a step I guess.
[notify]