GO!

Just Needed To Rant...

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 12:05am PST 
Oh Charlie big grin I have almost an identical picture of jake ;D

he loves to go through my trash in teh bathroom and take special things out of the trash and shread them on my bed. It's gross >.> But he'll leave full bags of dog food untouched. It's like he's trying to make a statement.

I will second the wobble kong. Jake goes ape $hit for his. That was the best $$ investment i ever made. I can fit kibble in it enough for breakfast and let jake have it. He'll chase it all over. It helps in terms of mental stimulation. I even started putting treats that were too large like 1 or 2 so that it would create a barrier and forced jake to work harder to get the pieces out.

Same with jake's "Busy buddy" purple bottle thing. I put a ball in there along with the rope to create more of a challenge.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 12:31pm PST 
Jewel - Daycare isn't possible as he isn't neutered and he can be choosy with who he friends. He doesn't like puppies, or dogs that jump on him. As for a friends house with a yard - nobody I know has one right now other than Sabi's mom, and I'm moving there in about two weeks-ish and will then have a yard of my own, haha.

Lenny - I find MOST treat-dispensing toys ARE too easy for Charlie! Puzzle toys, treat toys, etc, he figures them all out within moments. But he does have fun working at them. I will have to try the Walmart toy Sabi suggested and the Kong Wobbler. Great suggestion on going with a larger one, thank you! And yeah, I had to! I've seen similar ones, so I figured why not, haha. Besides, he's not the first Beagle I've dealt with. My foster dog was... Crazy.

Tucker - Nail polish?! Omg... Ria is similar to Tucker. She lacks the patience to really try with treat dispensing toys and usually just sits and waits for me to give them to her instead, bol.

Jake - Usually he's specific about what he takes out too, but that time it was just ALL tissue paper and the rest just kinda went with it. Yuck. I can't even count the number of times Charlie has left food untouched but destroyed other things. That said, he did eat that piece of chocolate and the rabbit treats, haha.

I do think it's a combination of stress from the packing, and boredom.. If I can keep him occupied while I'm packing, it might help..
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 12:45pm PST 
Alright, lets admit right now I'm crazy, but have you tried letting him help? When Sabs and Bud were younger and would stress about packing I just involved them. It's dumb I know but Sabi will put random toys and treats into boxes now.laugh out loud
I let them follow me around, check out the boxes, play with the paper and kept up a steady stream of conversation. 'We need to pack the dishes now' 'Lets go get the rest of the towels' 'Maybe we should put the silverware in this box instead. What do you think?' 'Did you know your Dad bought this for Mommy when we first met?' Obviously they don't understand but it involves them in the process and, at least for my two, it seemed to ease the anxiety.

Yes, I warned you, crazy. If only that worked for Shadow.laugh out loud
[notify]

Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 3:17pm PST 
Lol-Sabi, I LOVE it!
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 11:29pm PST 
Aww Girlie, I'm sure this will pass once things calm down some and you've settled into your new house. Is it possible for Charlie to spend the day on your mom's farm and come home in the evenings? I know your mom probably isn't in a position to do that right now, but IDK, it's just a thought. Perhaps you can meet Sab's mom when you move there and Charlie can have play dates with her crew while you're busy unpacking and all that. How is everything else BTW? We need to catch up, pmail me. smile
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 11:53pm PST 
Sabi - Oddly enough, this is the only time he's ever had anything, willingly in his mouth that was not specifically a dog toy. I did go an extra step though and keep Charlie with me in whatever room I was in and I did try chatting with him. He laid right down, fell asleep and behaved! May have to keep trying this. Definitely not crazy! I talk to my dogs all the time, haha. They definitely seem to appreciate it. laugh out loud

BUT HE DID IT AGAIN. We took the dogs with us to go visit my mom, and left them in the truck for, oh, maybe ten minutes while we ran into a shop to get take out for the drive. This time? It was an Iced Cappucino! Half of a medium Iced Cap, GONE. Not spilled anywhere either. They somehow got the lid off, and drank the whole beverage, and left no mess anywhere. shock AND this is something that NEITHER of them have EVER done before, and certainly not with a drink. I was... astounded. Neither had it effect them though, so that's the good part.

Yoshi - My mom lives an hour and a half drive north of the city, that I simply can't make every day and he doesn't get along with her dog Grizz, plus she and her husband both work full time. He would go more nuts there, than here. I've met Sabs mom, and she's just as awesome in person! Other than the stress of a landlord that doesn't follow the Landlord/Tenancy Act, and the stress of a move(and misbehaving dog), I'm doing good. smile
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 12:06am PST 
OH man Charlie is something else...

Jake did this the other day with a left over waffle i had in the front seat. I went put the dogs in the car and went to lock the door. Gone total 3 minutes. I came back to find the container the waffle was in popped open but not broken and empty. Jake looked at me and when i asked "who ate it?" he looked at Sweetie all "HER!" while he had butter on his mouth. Needless to say when Jake spent the entire night itching cuz he's allergic to wheat I knew who really did it.

But hats off to Charlie he's brilliant. In an evil genius dog kind of way. thinking
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2