GO!

Am I grieving? Pooping in the house afraid to go outside alone...

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Kina

AKA Weasel!! or- Ultimate Lap- dog!!

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 9:31am PST 
Hi everyone,

I haven't visited in a while.

Sadie passed away of heart failure on the 8th of April. I try to make it look like I ok, but I will not go outside by myself. I'm pooping in the house.

I will go out with mom on our walk before she heads to work. It takes me forever to go.

When daddy gets home, he'll come out with me because I will not leave the back deck. Sometimes I'll ask to go back in the house and poop on the floor when daddy isn't looking.

Mom and Dad are grieving so I have been going to give them extra hugs and kisses.

Do mom and dad have to revert back to the basics to get me to go outside again?
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 4:29pm PST 
When my Jaxey passed away in May last year, it took Kali months to get back to normal. Jax raised her from 8 weeks old. I gave Kali extra time, more treats, more play time and more walks. Just be patient, your pup will be back to normal over time. You might try to find a play mate. That would be a big distraction and give your pup something to look forward to. Good Luck!
[notify]
Kina

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 5:24pm PST 
Thanks Jax.

We're taking care of our neighbors Chocolate Lab for the weekend. Her and Kina are best buds so hopefully that'll help.

I think the fact that I'm not taking Sadie's passing well either isnt helping issues either. cry

I'll continue to be patient and take it one day at a time.
[notify]

Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 5:52pm PST 
I'm sorry to hear of your recent loss hug

I think trying to keep things as normal as possible is the best thing you can do for her right now. I'd increase her walks and spend more time distracting her with fun games and possibly even teaching her some new tricks or commands, anything to keep her busy really and encourage her to interact with her surroundings etc. The pooping in the house and the fear of going outside alone at night might be a case of just being patient with her. I'd take her out in the garden more often during the day and if she's afraid to go out at night i'd accompany her out there for the time being. Hopefully these are just behaviours that are as a direct result of losing her good friend and will pass as she starts to feel a little brighter.

hug's to you all.
[notify]
Kina

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 9:43pm PST 
Thanks Missy. I even started looking into training classes. Kina loves her ball so much I thought of even maybe starting fly ball with her. I'm sure we'd both enjoy that.

We'll get through this. Thanks again.
[notify]