GO!

Moving, need suggestions please!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Shadow

Lets GO

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 11:57pm PST 
I have to move at the end of the month, not very farlaugh out loudJust to the suite in this house with the bigger yard.
Shadow has lived in this house all her life and she gets upset if I move a chair. When I rearranged my bedroom she had a total meltdown. If I leave her loose she barks, that panicked, shrill, 'stop it' bark, and runs in circles. If I crate her she tears at her crate, slams into the door and screams and howls. And that's just rearranging!
Any thoughts on getting her through this. I hate stressing her out like that. Putting her in a room won't work, I've tried that. I'm a compulsive furniture rearrangerlaugh out loudI'm thinking meds to be honest and not nuts about that either. The other dogs are no help, she barks at them like she doesn't get why they aren't upsetconfused
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 1:00am PST 
I'm sorry it's going to be so difficult! If there's anything I can do to help, let me know. I hope it won't freak her out too much having someone living upstairs from her - I was thinking about that earlier today, actually. You might go nuts yet!

If I can do anything to help or to help make things easier in the adjustment, please let me know! I really don't have any suggestions, but I'm hoping others might.
[notify]
Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 2:35am PST 
Do they sell that calming pheromone there? Is that called DAP? Where I live it is available in collars, sprays and a device that vaporizes it into the air. I have no personal experience about it so I don't know if it works and if it needs any other procedures like training to work.
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 8:02am PST 
I can honestly say,"I feel your pain" on this one. Mika is not quite that bad but does freak out even when we put the snow shovel in and the broom out with the change of seasons. She too is suspicious of any change and acts like anything new is out to get her. We are currently redecorating the master bedroom and I'm almost thankful there have been some delays,she has had time to get used to the new wall color,things being relocated,and some other changes. We aren't sure how long it's going to take her to want to walk back in the room once everything is finally able to be placed. She just can't seem to let simple change roll off like most dogs can.hughughughugwishes at least you will have some understanding neighbors who will know you aren't killing her during her protests.flowersrelieved
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 8:21am PST 
Oh my goodness, I feel your pain too! Our last move Jackson didn't take so well at all. Worst thing that happened was he hit the window button in the moving truck and nearly got sucked out. eek Then he was stressed for weeks, he tried to pee on my computer and kept humping my arm. It was crazy, he was being such a $#*! I hate to think what he'll do next time because he loves this house now. Ugggghh.

All I can suggest is be patient but I know you're gonna do that anyway. laugh out loud
[notify]

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 9:15am PST 
If you're not moving that far away from where your house is now, you can actually try and go over the new house with your dog during her walks. That way you'll get her used to the new 'digs' and hopefully, she'll be more accepting of the move. Also, before you move, make sure that you keep your dog's routines as normal as possible. Moving can be stressful to us humans, and to dogs it's basically the same. You don't want to stress her out or she'll go berserk.
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 10:25am PST 
I think Meds are the way to go. They would only be temporary until she gets settled. I used them to get Jax used to the car. After several trips to fun places she didn't need them. It might work for Shadow until she gets used to the smells and the layout of your new home. Didn't you say she has sight issues? Thats probably why she gets upset. Good luck!
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 11:21am PST 
wow... though when we moved jake did take out a door or two... and he barked a lot.

I would talk it over with your intimate neighbors and let them know if she's a terrorizing barker or something. My neighbors thankfully were cool about Mr. Beagle's barking but the guy across the fence not so muc... But hey he doesnt' live at my complex.
[notify]
Shadow

Lets GO

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 11:22am PST 
I guess meds will be needed. I have called her vet and hopefully they will call back with an answer. She has played in the yard before just never been inside the suite and as soon as I start moving things I know she is just going to freak. I guess moving is hard on everyone. Bud and Sabs are old hands at this, they had to do the back and forth from Sask twice a year so it's just another adventure for them.
On the whole Shadow copes really well with her vision issues so I tend to discount it, but I guess if I couldn't see well it would scare me if stuff started moving aroundlaugh out loudIt helps to know I'm not the only one with a freaky mover though thanks.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 3:32pm PST 
Soon-to-be-intimate-neighbor here! wave

I already know Shadow's issues and they don't bother me at all. Hopefully the Vet can help. smile

When I start packing, Charlie starts misbehaving(chewing things, not listening, etc) - not as bad, but still a pain.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2