GO!

What to do (kind of a rant)...

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 6:20pm PST 
double post due to some kind of glitchshrug

Edited by author Wed Apr 17, '13 6:23pm PST

[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 6:53pm PST 
SO glad that at least one of the dogs is getting to find a safer, better home! Hopefully as time goes, she'll give in with the others, or AC will do more about it. Thanks for looking out for these dogs, Star, and for doing what you can to help them!
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 5:53am PST 
I know it's the wrong answer and kudos to you for doing the right thing, at least getting one dog out of there and really trying, but part of me says, what if the two labs just "disappear" the next time they got out (and mysteriously find better homes)? thinking

It seems very crazy and irresponsible of the shelter to adopt out a pit with a bite history to an older lady that they know has many dogs and a history of not keeping them contained . . .shrug
[notify]

Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 2:43pm PST 
Bear is doing great now..my friend is gonna keep him. i went up and had her sign a paper that states that she turned him over to me and has no ownership rights to him (i dont need her changing her mind).

Im so happy i got him out but really feel bad for the others. I still am in complete shock that the shelter adopted this aggressive pit to an elderly women. The shelter in my area has a history of keeping aggressive dogs and putting them up for adoption over other dogs (that are shy but not aggressive). I really think there needs to be a major change in my shelter's policies but there is nothing i can do now except voice my opinions/experiences and try to get someone to listen. Hopefully they will at least consider not adopting out an aggressive dog now that they are aware of this situation.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 3:03pm PST 
Have you tried sending a letter to the board of directors for the shelter?
[notify]
Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 3:43pm PST 
I have told them in the past that the do not make good decisions on which dogs to adopt out. I and others have written letters to the board multiple times and have even gone before the county council (since the shelter does get county money) to address the issues but nothing changes. Its disappointing
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2