GO!

What to do (kind of a rant)...

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 1:48pm PST 
So I have an older women (70+) who lives down the street from me, i know her but not well enough to have her personal info (phone number/name/etc). She had 4 dogs, a small terrier mix, 2 large (100+ lbs) black lab mixes, and a GSD mix. She cannot keep these dogs in her yard, my neighbors and I built her a fence, secured her yard (as best we could), and got all her dogs microchipped. She was very picky about the fence, no taller than 4 feet or she would not let us fence it in..unfortunately the 3 large dogs can jump the fence. All these dogs are friendly and everyone knows to tell the dogs to go home and they go back to her yard, not a big deal..even the animal control officers know these dogs and will take them home to her.

So today I am leaving my house and a large pit bull mix is standing at the end of my street. It is growling at everybody walking on my street and charging people with dogs. I get in my car and drove closer (I wanted to be protected, note I have nothing against pits but it was acting aggressive). It came charging at my car (luckily I was going slow and could stop) and jumped at the window trying to bite! I saw a name and number on the tag so I threw a treat out the rear window to distract it and it ran to the treat while I pulled to the side of the road and called the number. When I dialed the number I was surprised that the old women at the end of my street picked up!! I explained the situation and she came out and got the dog..she told me that since she had a nice yard now, she went to the shelter and adopted this dog!! The shelter told her that it was the dogs last chance as it had bitten in the past and since she did not have much company it would be the "perfect fit" for Bo (the pit bull). Just as she was walking away Animal control pulled up (some one else had called them) and asked what was going on, they gave her a citation because they got a complaint.

Now can someone tell me why in the world an old women who cannot keep her current dogs in her yard would go out and adopt an aggressive dog??

Why would the shelter adopt any large dog with aggression issues out to an elderly person..what if she needs medical attention??

My dilemma comes with what to do. Animal control said that if they kept getting complaints they may have no choice but to take her dogs. I have no problem with them taking the pit (that she should not have), the terrier mix would find a home no problem but the other dogs would have a hard time being adopted..they are shy until they get to know people and the black dogs are old (about 10, littermates). I would hate to see all her dogs taken from her and sitting at the shelter just because she got this aggressive dog. I asked her about putting up a taller fence and she is still opposed, she said she would rather have a good view and if they take her dogs its not her problem where they end up (im sure my jaw dropped).

I am wondering if maybe I should ask her if she would care if i started looking for new homes for the 3 large dogs (other than the pit as i know I could not find anyone to take him). Any advice on what I should/could do to help the innocent dogs that would be affected if animal control had to step in (i gave them my info so if it does happen they are suppose to call me and I will take the GSD mix as a foster (he stayed at my house while she was in the hospital and loves my dogs/cats so i know it would not be a problem). The others are not good with cats so they would have to go to the shelter..i would hate to see the old dogs in a concrete kennel..
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 1:58pm PST 
Wow. I have nothing helpful for you. Just wow.
[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 2:15pm PST 
shock

Would going to the shelter she adopted the dog from, and telling them the situation help (she should return him)? It almost sounds like they guilted her into taking him. She cannot safely contain him, if he has already bitten, this will not turn out well for any involved unless someone does something now. Good luck with whatever you decide on.wink
[notify]

Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 2:51pm PST 
The shelter she got him from is the humane society..we have a strange system where i live, animal control takes all the animals they pick up to the humane society which is funded both by private donations and by county money..its like they are half private and half county run.

I know the director and have fostered for them previously so i think that calling the shelter director is a great idea! Thanks Twister! Even if they cannot convince her to return him..maybe they could convince animal control to only take the problem dog should action need to be taken or get her some help with training.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 2:54pm PST 
Quite honestly, I'd continue reporting anything and everything to AC. I'd take pictures when I spotted the dogs loose, and video evidence of aggressive behavior as well.

This woman SHOULD NOT own dogs. I know a fair share of people that shouldn't and often wish AC would do more, but there's really only so much they can do. What shocks me is that they continuously take her dogs back to her house to her!

Like I said, I'd keep reporting. I'd also go to her and offer to help her find new homes for them, or offer to take the GSD.

I'd also do as Twister suggested and go to the shelter she got the dog from and talk to them about her. If nothing else, you may be able to point out why she is not a good home for them to continue adopting out to.
[notify]
Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 3:02pm PST 
I was hoping to solve the problem by helping her but she just does not get it, im going to call the shelter now and talk to them about her....

I just found Bear (my boy, the GSD mix) again so I am going to take him home in a few minutes (hes in my house playing with my dogs now). I am going to talk to her about letting me find homes for the big guys and possibly taking Bear, we will see how it goes. I think she would be fine with the little terrier as he cannot get out of the yard and is apparently old as the hills (about 16) i thought he was younger as he is a cute little thing and all grey so i did not have the grey/white muzzle as a clue to his old age.

I just need to figure out how to ask her without her getting mad at me an cutting me off completely (i am on Bears microchip info and do not want to be taken off just incase anything does happen).
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 3:20pm PST 
You can always wait until another incident of them escaping happens and go up to her and say, "I saw so and so almost get hit by a car and I'm really worried about their safety... Are you sure we can't help you contain them better or find them homes to go to where they won't escape and get themselves hurt? If you ever feel overwhelmed at all, I'd really like to help out." Or something along those lines. Try being non-confrontational. If you make it sound like it's not her fault and you want to help her solve the problem and be part of the solution, but don't go accusing or being rude, it might help in talking to her about it. Make it sound like it's her idea, on her terms and like you just want to help HER out. She may be more likely to accept your help if you don't accuse, or get confrontational.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 3:21pm PST 
I know it's only been a couple of hours, but do you have any updates?
[notify]
Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 6:04pm PST 
I went up and took Bear "home". I dd not say anything about trying to place them in different homes but as I was walking back to my house Bear was back at my side (i had Star and Wiggles with me at the time). So I turned around and went back to her house, she had put him directly in the yard instead of taking him inside. When I asked her why she put him back outside she said "he is causing to many problems with Bo when they are inside and is to dumb to leave him alone"...i asked if she could use some help with the dogs, by maybe helping to find them safer homes where they are not in danger of being hit by cars or from animal control. Or by taking them for walks with my dogs daily (I told her I will not deal with Bo and he would have to be locked up whenever I came around). She let me take Bear home!! She said I could have him if I really wanted him as he (in her words) "obviously likes me better and I obviously care about him way to much". (the more I talk to her about the dogs the more annoyed I get that she has any dogs at all).

She said she will not give the others up under any circumstances and that they are "street smart" and will avoid cars so they are not in any danger.. (yea right).

So I guess the good news is that I now have Bear, i dont think I can keep him because I already have 5 and am on the waiting list for a show borzoi pup but my best friend (lives 3 doors down) also loves Bear and he loves her dogs so she is gonna try and see if her parents will let her keep him (he could always come over for playdates and he will stay me if she cannot take him).

I talked to the shelter director and the shelter cannot take Bo (the pit) back so I am kinda stuck dealing with him until animal control has enough complaints to take him (i will be calling every time I see him) and the other dogs are stuck dealing with her and the very real possibility of ending up at the shelter.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 6:20pm PST 
Wow , what a mess!eek Our shelter will not adopt out aggressive dogs of *any* breed. I really don't understand how an agressive dog got placed with this ladyshrug I am glad at least Bear is going to have a new home one way or anothermeditate A lot of older people were raised with a totally different mentality regarding dogs, sound like she is one of them. Poor dogsfrown
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2