GO!

Cannot crate train for house training

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Tiberius

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 8:40pm PST 
My 7 month old foster came to me with a just-set broken femur, 2 teeth pulled, neutered, kennel cough,peeing on himself, 30% underweight, no concept of play. The 1st night, this homeless flea-bitten pup felt safer in the cat's poo filled litter box than his own bed.

Fast forward 30 days - an almost new dog. Midnight - 2pm is the witching hour for running, rolling, gathering socks, and hiding and chewing toys. It is the only time he plays rather than quietly reclining.

So, I do not want to interfere with his PTSD emotional rehab by crating him to house train. This play time has helped him tremendously. And, he could think it's to keep him from playing. And, he absolutely needs this play when he WANTS rather than being at the complete will of the mean streets. The pup finally gets to choose.

So, any tips on housebreaking? What did people do before crate training?

Thanks everyone for your tips...
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 5:06am PST 
I did not crate train either,my last 3 pups all Akitas,felt that the crate was a place to pee and poop in protest of being locked up away from us. I used tethering. I slipped a leash through a belt loop and attached it to the collar so the pup was never far from me and I was always aware of what was going on,at the first sign of sniffing or every hour we went out and stayed out on a longer leash(retractable) until their business was done,then we praised and potty partied and came inside and went back to doing whatever we had been doing before,as they got older or more reliable about letting me know they had to go we increased the time between trips,this also helped to keep them from getting into things that could be dangerous or developing bad behaviors. Good Luck and Thank-you for taking on this poor little problem pup,it sounds like he really needed a break and a second chance for a good life.hugwishes to both of you.
[notify]
Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 9:32am PST 
Alva was housetrained without a crate. But she was 8 weeks old and arrived from a breeder so she had a good start to become a clean dog. She had also already learned to do her business on newspapers on the floor which made my job easier. Yet I have heard that housetraining an older pooch is started just like with a small puppy.

1) Walk, walk, walk. Walk the dog often. Every time your dog does it outdoors, praise. I walked Alva every 2nd hour but she was a puppy and could not hold it longer. Later I could increase the time. Some people walk a dog in housetraining whenever he has eaten, slept or played or hasn't been walked for a while. Make sure that the dog is not scared or in distress and that she/he can pee/poo undisturbed.

2) Observe your dog. Is there something she/he does before peeing/pooing? Does she/he prefer some surfaces or places? When she/he has to pee/poo? If you find any patterns, be ready and take the dog out.

3) You can limit your dog's access in the house by doors or baby gates or tether him/her to you so that you can make your job to clean up easier. Also when you're at home, keep an eye on the dog so that you see any sign he/she needs a walk.
[notify]

Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 7:03pm PST 
Jax came from a horrible place and had no idea about cleanliness. The tethering is a great idea, but in addition, I took Jax out every 15 minutes until she figured out that if she peed and pooped outside, she got lots of praise and treats. After that, I increased it to every half hour, then to an hour and so on. It's a lot of work at first, but after a few days, I could start increasing the time. If your consistent, they catch on fast. If your hit or miss, then it will take them longer. Good Luck!
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 3:30am PST 
Congratulations on your new addition and good job!way to go I can't improve on the suggestions already given because I also gated mine and watched them like a hawk laugh out loud The crate traing for Bunny just came a couple of years agosmile
[notify]

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 9:19am PST 
It's amazing to hear that you've had so much progress with your dog. Congratulations on doing such a good job. Anyway, you can choose to paper train your dog or, as the others around have said, take him out of the house on a schedule. Most dogs would pee or poop after waking up, after eating and after sleeping. So you can build your schedule around here. Although he is around 7 months old, he might still need to go out more than other dogs of the same age. See what 'peeing' schedule suits him and follow that one.
[notify]
Tiberius

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 12:19pm PST 
Thank you everyone. Great tips. Ready to start using them. Have a wonderful weekend.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 7:56am PST 
No problem. I hope everything goes well with you and your dog. We'd be happy to know which tips you used and which ones worked. big grin
[notify]
Daisy Mae

Cute? Yeah,- that's me.

Barked: Sat May 11, '13 8:25am PST 
Can you gate him in one room? When I inherited my grandmother's dog, I could not crate him. She used the crate as punishment and for when she left. She was older and did not know better. I bought a baby gate with may extensions and blocked him in the kitchen at night and when I was gone. He was in renal failure at this time and would often urinate in the house even if I let him out just before bed or before I left for work. I would not punish him for that because I knew that he could not help it. Even though he was 12 years old, he had never been properly housebroke. My grandmother got the dog from her nephew who pretty much dumped him with her (he moved in, got the dog, moved out and never came back for the dog). The dog responded well to room-gating, instead of crating.
[notify]