GO!

My older dog wants nothing to do with my puppy

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Barked: Sat Apr 13, '13 3:17pm PST 
Without getting into a long background story, I have a 6 month old pom puppy, and a 13 year old aussie sheppard/sheltie. My senior dog, wants absolutely nothing to do with my pup, and will run upstairs and hide under the bed, when he sees the puppy.
He is completely passive with the puppy, and will not engage with the puppy in any way.
The puppy has barked at the old dog, and attempted to sniff him, but the old dog seems just way too stressed.

I don't want to put excess stress on my senior, but I would love for my two dogs to coexist at some point.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
If in fact it proves to be too much, my puppy does have alternative living arrangements for the time being, but having both dogs at my house would be ideal.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Sun Apr 14, '13 12:57am PST 
It's unlikely they will ever be buddies. Accept that now, and you'll stress yourself much less.

Your older dog doesn't want anything to do with your puppy for the same reason humans in their 80s usually have no reason to want to be with high-energy toddlers who are running and playing and making lots of noise.

Make sure your oldster has plenty of time apart from the puppy. Supervise all their time together and do NOT permit any harassment. And that would be "harassment" as defined by your older dog.
[notify]
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Sun Apr 14, '13 4:31am PST 
I know people sometimes say that getting a puppy adds five years on to your old dogs life... But I've yet to see this with a dog over twelve years old.

I'm sure it can happen but your Aussie is very old now, adding a bouncy, energetic and noisy puppy into the mix probably wasn't the best idea... When I first added Dexter to the household he was a hyper one year old and my 10 year old GSD x Rocky, wasn't too impressed... Not with a bouncy Border collie running around... After a couple of weeks, things settled down. Rocky accepted Dexter but wouldn't really take anything to do with him. If Dexter tried to lie beside Rocky, Rocky would get up and walk away... Dexter also learned very quickly not to get in Rocky's face... They have to learn boundaries with each other. The puppy needs to learn that it can't jump all over your older dog, it can't bark and annoy your older dog and that your older dog needs space...

How long have you had the puppy for?

These things take time, but like the above poster said, you have to dedicate time to your older dog... One on one, just you and her/him... The puppy should not change everything... It's an addition not a complete change.

Good luck and hopefully, given time, the dogs will learn to coexist peacefully.
[notify]

Baby

What'd you say?- I wasn't- listening.

Barked: Sun Apr 14, '13 8:47am PST 
When I first got Chaplin at 8 weeks Baby actually ran away from him. On the car ride back from the breeder Baby actually turned around and faced the back of the car the whole ride so as not the look at him and in the hotel he jumped up to avoid him. He hated the little guy and would walk away when Chaplin tried to play. After about a month though he got a little more accepting. He'd let the little tyke chew on his bones and play with his toys in that absent father kind of way haha. Then another month they became better pals but Baby was still kind of reserved. He just played tug with Chaplin...

Once Chaplin was six months Baby was finally pretty accepting and now at a year they're best friends.

Baby is still pretty young and is sort of able to keep up with the excess energy of Chaplin though you can tell it sort of wears him out after a certain point...

Because your dog is a bit older I'm sure the problem will start as just a general distaste for this newcomer and then arise from energy levels. Make sure you get involved if you think the puppy is being too "annoying" to avoid any problems or stress or injuries.

But you never know.

Edited by author Sun Apr 14, '13 8:48am PST

[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Sun Apr 14, '13 4:58pm PST 
Totally been there.

Sanka was 9 when I got my pup. Sanka just doesn't care for pups in general. He finds them annoying and just avoids the fuss. He would even spit out treats and go away when the pup would come near. Totally abnormal for a chow hound.

My 2 aren't really best buddies. They get along just fine and play a little bit, not much. But they don't really interact much with each other.

The best thing is to give your older dog space. If the older dog doesn't want to be around the puppy, then that's fine. Once the pup starts to grow up, your dog may find more interest in it, assuming your older dog does fine with other dogs.

Give your dog some one on one time with you too. Puppies sleep a lot, so maybe crate the pup for nap times so your older dog will feel more comfortable around the home. It will be an uphill battle until your pup is over a year old. It will be frustrating as your older dog will seem saddened by your choice. But it just takes time. As long as you're giving both dogs breaks from each other and time to breathe, it should be okay.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Apr 15, '13 7:59am PST 
I just got a puppy a week ago and my older dog is probably 4-6 years old (rescue) but since I did fostering before Jewel was very used to having strange dogs just appear in her house. She knows how to let me know she wants private time either with me or just by herself. I have a babygate up and if Jewel has had enough she goes to the gate, I let her through and there ya go she can go on the other side of the house for a break.

Puppies can be a real pain. I always praise Jewel when she does decide to play with the puppy, even randomly give her treats when the puppy is around.

But I agree with the others, with that big of an age difference I wouldn't expect them to be buddy-buddy.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Apr 15, '13 6:48pm PST 
It would probably be best not to force them to be together. It's probably the age difference that's keeping your senior dog from socializing with your new puppy, but give it time. You don't have to change your puppy's living arrangements but you may want to separate them while you can. However, make sure that you spend the same amount of time for both dogs. Eventually try to get them in the same room while you are around. Hopefully, in the future, they would want to coexist.
[notify]