GO!

Can they remember?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Wed Apr 10, '13 11:41am PST 
In the early winter months one of my best friends moved away. She owns Lil Man who was one of Kashmir's best dog friends. Since the weather is getting better outside I am trying to reconnect with her to plan a visit and want to bring Kashmir with me. My question is that she and Lil Man haven't seen each other the whole winter. Do you think they will remember each other if I did bring her along for a visit? I think it would be fun to bring her to reunite us both our old friends. wave
[notify]
Indiana

Barked: Wed Apr 10, '13 11:49am PST 
I'm sure they remember other dogs that they've met.

When I first adopted Indy he had spent a full day in a van coming up to the DC area from South Carolina so after picking him up we headed to the dog park to let him burn off some energy. There was only one other dog there, a black lab named Remy, who ended up being his absolute favorite dog in the whole world. If we went to the park and Remy was there Indy ignored all other dogs. After only a few months of living there I moved to a new place and that dog park was too far away so they didn't get to play anymore. We ended up going to a different dog park well over a year later and when I let him off the leash he made a beeline towards the back of the park and this black dog with a frisbee in its mouth. The owner yelled to me as I was walking up to them "Is that Indy?!" Indy had totally recognized Remy and it was the same thing all over again - no playing with any other dogs, just chasing Remy while he chased his frisbee. It was really very funny to see!
[notify]
Indiana

Barked: Wed Apr 10, '13 11:49am PST 
I'm sure they remember other dogs that they've met.

When I first adopted Indy he had spent a full day in a van coming up to the DC area from South Carolina so after picking him up we headed to the dog park to let him burn off some energy. There was only one other dog there, a black lab named Remy, who ended up being his absolute favorite dog in the whole world. If we went to the park and Remy was there Indy ignored all other dogs. After only a few months of living there I moved to a new place and that dog park was too far away so they didn't get to play anymore. We ended up going to a different dog park well over a year later and when I let him off the leash he made a beeline towards the back of the park and this black dog with a frisbee in its mouth. The owner yelled to me as I was walking up to them "Is that Indy?!" Indy had totally recognized Remy and it was the same thing all over again - no playing with any other dogs, just chasing Remy while he chased his frisbee. It was really very funny to see!
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Apr 10, '13 11:52am PST 
Absolutely they can and do remember. I originally owned Jenny, a mini poodle, for four years and she lived with me and Toto and Beanie. I placed her four years ago due to issues with some of the other girls in my house.
At least once a year we head down for a visit, and those three dogs go CRAZY greeting each other and playing. It is obvious they DO remember because Jenny now lives with a new dog and Toto and Beanie do not react to that dog at all when we get there, only to Jenny.
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Wed Apr 10, '13 11:59am PST 
Wow that's amazing the stories you guys told. I can't wait till we can meet up and hang out again way to go
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Wed Apr 10, '13 5:33pm PST 
I do think they remember. When I mention Jax's name, Kali goes looking for her. Also, I babysit my Mother-in-law's dog, George, about 2x a year. When ever Kali sees him (I think she thinks he's her boyfriend laugh out loud )she goes crazy with the greetings. I think she misses him.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Wed Apr 10, '13 6:57pm PST 
Yeah, I have no doubt they remember . . .. Gus always remembers people she's met even if she hasn't seen them in months, so I don't doubt the memory for other dog friends is even stronger.

Supposedly sense of smell is one of the most powerful when it comes to memory. If anything I'd expect dogs and lots of other animals probably have better memories than us.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Wed Apr 10, '13 7:48pm PST 
Definitely! Sarah has a BFF from the dog park. She always remembers her, even when it has been months apart. I foster and she LOVES to she my male fosters again. Unfortunately she also remembers the female fosters and HATES them. They could have gotten along wonderfully but if they leave she does not want to see them as gain. I had one I fostered for 6 months. She was adopted and I didn't see her for a several months. Wen I saw her again, the little dog was gaga over me but the two of them were ready to duke it out. It was not cool. Both this dog's adopter and I are active in doggy events and I don't bring Sarah if I know Kali will be there!
[notify]
Gunther

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Thu Apr 11, '13 7:07am PST 
Yes! My Mom's dog, a rat terrier, hadn't seen my Mom's sister in four years. He was a very moody, aggressive dog that hated strangers. When my aunt finally came for a visit after those years, he jumped on her, went nuts, and licked her all over her face. Which was very out of character for him! Even after four years he remembered who she was.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Thu Apr 11, '13 7:20am PST 
Because of distance and schedules, months can go by between meetings for Addy and my friend's Maltese, Puccini, and they go wild with joy when they do see each other.

Also, Addy had a cocker spaniel friend, who died in an accident. I can't even say that friend's name or she gets all excited, thinking we're going to visit.

They remember.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2