GO!

This dog is awesome!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Ria

Miss Black- Magic's 'Ria'

Barked: Sat Mar 30, '13 6:23pm PST 
I'm going to start off by saying I LOVE push-button dogs. I love eager-to-please(even just for the sake of pleasing) dogs! Toy driven dogs! Yep.. LOVE.

I had some concerns with Ria barking at strangers, and getting snarky with other dogs..

She still barks at strangers until they pet her(she's unsure in those situations with people she doesn't know, but relaxes once she's getting attention and positive reinforcement), and she still gets snarky dependent on the behavior of the other dog, but she's doing great!

Her recall is SOLID. Which surprises me for her age. I have been keeping an eye out on the off chance a teenage phase hits and she decides to push boundaries, but she's doing EXCELLENT. Her off leash is beautiful. Her basic obedience is beautiful.

You ask for a down, and she hits the ground as quick and hard as she possibly can, smiling up at you with a wagging tail, waiting to find out what you want her to do next! You ask for a sit, she plants her butt and waits for the next command! You tell her to stay and she stays firmly until you give the okay!

She's extremely toy driven and focused on her frisbee and ball. They're her favorites. Fetch is her favorite game. We often use her ball as a reward when teaching her new things.

If you have a ball, she ignores EVERYTHING(dogs, rabbits, people, cats, you name it) except you. Her focus is solid on you. She's everything my fiance and I wanted, and MORE!

Being Lab/Border Collie, I expected a bit more challenge with training her. But she's incredibly EASY. She has an off switch. She can GO GO GO when you want her to, and settle instantly too. Extremely tolerant with people, and so much fun! She has no bad habits around the house anymore(chewing is gone, no more accidents, doesn't garbage dig, no longer counter surfs, nothing).

Other than being a little shy and a little lacking in skills with other dogs, she's getting there and doing great!

In the future, I'd like to get her into some obedience classes to help build her confidence a little, and then I think she'd have a blast in something like Flyball or Agility and excel even.

We took the dogs down to a river the other day for a walk and some fun, and Ria LOVED splashing around in the shallow end of the river. She had a blast and even got Charlie playing around the water(Charlie doesn't like water at all).

When meeting some new dogs, she only snarked at a puppy that tried to jump in her face(was telling the puppy off and backed off right away), and at a friends intact Border mix who kept trying to jump on her back(he was being rude, so she told him off too). She did great in every other situation, and in fact, had little interest in any of the other dogs, and far more in my fiance and I.

If anyone has any ideas for things to do with her while I'm pregnant, I'd love to hear them!

One thing I REALLY have to work on is leash training. More for safety purposes and for when I'm walking her, as I prefer to obey leash laws and can't currently walk my springy, bouncy, crazy happy little dog on my own lol.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Mar 31, '13 9:35am PST 
I am so glad she is doing well for you. I agree that the leash work is going to be difficult but you really need to get on that. It isn't a big deal with Shadow but I'm not pregnant eitherlaugh out loudIf you need a hand let me know, because it won't be easier with two dogs and a babywink
While you are pregnant why don't you work on stuff like find it, bring it(teach her to locate and identify different objects) or complicated fetch(I make Shadow go, stop, drop it, leave it, go back for it, etc). That one is great for impulse control and requires minimal effort from me. With a baby coming I would also work on a long down/stay and drop it/leave it. The first will come in handy all those times you will be suddenly occupied, the second will become imperative when the baby starts crawling around, dropping food and toys.
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Sun Mar 31, '13 10:45am PST 
I love Sabi's suggestions, but I just wanted to say WOW at well this little girl is for you (and of course all the work you've put in!) Can you somehow incorporate the ball into leash training? Maybe start in an inclosed area and use the ball to lure her into the right spot, if she goes a certain distance on a loose leash you can reward her with some ball? Might make it difficult when trying to go out to proof her leash training out in the real work but might help get it started? I've been using a tug for my one boy I've been having a really hard time training/communicating with and it's been far more helpful than food or anything else. Not a miracle worker, but he's also not THAT toy driven (more so than food driven when outside though).

Goes to show when we get the right dog and put in the work how wonderful things can be cheer
[notify]