GO!

Sudden fear in men

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Suka

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 10:50am PST 
In the past like 2 weeks I have noticed that Suka is terrified of men. Either at daycare and at the dog park. She sulks away from them and runs from them. Wont let them pet her or get near her. Sometimes she growls and barks at them. Its really embarrassing and she has never done this and i dont know where this fear came from.
Anyone have any tips or advice on how to fix this?
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 5:45pm PST 
I would have family members that are men and/or men friends feed her really yummy treats. Use something she would die for and only use them with men feeding them to her. Don't give them to her any other time. The quickest way to a dog's heart is through their stomach. Good luck!
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 7:45pm PST 
If it's something sudden yeah, have several different guys give her goodies till she comes around again. But I'd also try to research a bit-like a human kid with sudden fear, could someone male have been harsh to her for some reason?
Then some dogs just are more comfortable with one gender over the other. Sophie is fearful of so very many things, the only two humans she ever went off on were men. She prefers the company of quiet women. Most men, children and anyone overly loud she shys from.
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 8:32pm PST 
Don't forget there is also a known fear period at around a year of age. I would be very careful doing any type of flooding corrections during this period.
If possible, I would have male family members and/or male employees at daycare feed more treats, but have them just toss them on the floor to her rather than try to approach until she is readily standing and waiting for the treats. Remember to caution them NOT to stare at her and NOT to make eye contact...this will increase her fear.
Good luck!
[notify]
Suka

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 10:55pm PST 
Well in February she broke her toe and has had to go back multiple times to get it checked and my vet is a male and maybe she has associated men with having her toe touched and being in pain? But I will try the treat from family members and friends that are male. Hopefully it is just a 1 year old phase she is going through.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sat Mar 30, '13 1:20pm PST 
Remember to that Danes are unbelievably sensitive. Something as simple as jerking her collar or a harsh reprimand could leave a lasting impression on a Dane. I agree with Toto, rather then trying to feed her treats right away have some men she already knows toss them in front of her.
I have seen Danes withdraw for days over a little slap, or a push. Mine refused to go near a neighbor ever again because she shoved her away from their poodle when Freeway was trying to make friends.
[notify]