GO!

I screwed up bad

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 5:56pm PST 
I installed an invisible fence for my 7 month old, 55 lb yellow lab.just put the collar on and was going to start training. i completely forgot to put the covers over the contacts to prevent the shock.my little puppy yanked unexpectedly on the leash and went full on into the correction zone.i felt awful! now she is afraid to go outside at all.i have no idea what to do and feel terrible.can anyone give me any ideas please?
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 6:06pm PST 
IMHO, I do not like electric fences...I would tell you to take it out and return it and between three handy people on a weekend you can put in a wire fence with pound in posts, or one of any number of wooden panels available-have someone put it in professionally and you don't have to worry about it for another fifteen to thirty years.
Of course if you rent the wire fence can be easily removed. Besides the shock aspect, electric fences don't keep other dogs or predators out. Your dog can be trapped like that. And a strong willed pooch can run past the line anyway shock or not. It's going to take you awhile to convince your dog to trust you now. Take it slow and good luck.
[notify]
Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 7:08pm PST 
I agree with Opheila on the fencing issue.

As to helping your dog overcome the fear of going outdoors, just make going outside a positive thing. Every time she sets foot outside, give lots of praise, some treats, and lots of toys, make it a grand adventure to go out. Hopefully it won't take long for her to overcome this fear. Good luck! way to go

edited for spelling red face

Edited by author Thu Mar 28, '13 7:10pm PST

[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 8:37pm PST 
Take her out, on leash, but use a different door. Use plenty of treats and repeat, repeat, repeat.
Return the electric fence!!!
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Sat Mar 30, '13 9:04am PST 
I agree with everyone above, I've seen so many strong willed or high drive dogs just go right through these fences like they're nothing to go after whatever they're going after. And like also pointed out, it doesn't keep other dogs or animals out either (which is another part of keeping your dog safe). I helped my dad build a fence for our dog way back in the day (almost 15 years ago) and even though we've had to do minor repairs it's still lasted us.

With treats and time your girl will begin to appreciate the outside again smile Can you put her on a long line to take her out until you have a fence built? That way you can maybe toss a toy a little bit (more so than a 6ft lead) and let her explore her space more like she would if it was fenced in. Might help her relax more maybe?
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sat Mar 30, '13 11:00am PST 
I agree with Toto re trying a different door. Also, if she's as dog friendly as most Labs are at this age and you have a dog owning pal, sometimes bringing another dog in to just guide the way through the door works well. She'll be too preoccupied with her doggie visitor and as they go through the door, she may just follow.

Sorry about the experience. I agree that these fences really aren't the best. If it's a cost issue, I find with some patience something like Craig'slist is a good source to get things pretty cheaply for a more conventional fence.
[notify]
Macy

Back Off! I- really don't- like strangers!

Barked: Sun Mar 31, '13 3:19pm PST 
Conventional fences may be preferable, but they're not always possible. I've used an underground fence now for about 8 years. My DH will not even consider a "real" fence around our back yard. It may not be the best solution, but it's worked for us!
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Sun Mar 31, '13 9:17pm PST 
If a conventional fence isn't possible you could try a zip line that you tie from point a to point b and then the dog is on a long leash that is on a pulley to move up and down the line. We had our shepherd on one while we build our fence (only out there supervised and in a harness, not her collar). It could be an option to at least look into over the electric fence. My aunt uses one now for her dog up in Ohio where in their suburban neighborhood no one puts fences around anything, so this way he can be outside with them and the kids and when they have block parties or what have you and enjoy a game of fetch, but still be safe. I don't know if it's a good long term thing or if it works for your situation, but I just thought of it and wanted to throw it out there.
[notify]