GO!

Target training with a laser pointer?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 11:53am PST 
Has anybody ever used a laser pointer for target/touch training? I don't personally like using laser pointers as a pet toy, but it occurred to me that they might be useful for targets since I could use it to point at things I want the dog to "touch" from a distance. But I want to make sure there aren't any possible downsides or things to be aware of with that.

Anybody have experience with this? And if you don't (or you don't like them), what do you use for target training?
[notify]
Baby

What'd you say?- I wasn't- listening.

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 2:16pm PST 
I use it with Chaplin just for fun. I've taught him to pick up and bring back any item I'm "targeting" with it. I tried it with someone else's dog but she was waaaaaay too into the whole red dot thing and it proved to be more stressful to her than anything else.

Chaplin didn't really care one way or the other about the dot.
I think it's a really great tool to use if it doesn't excite your pooch.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 4:09pm PST 
You could say that I did, I guess.
Nare wasn't interested in the laser pointer, so I trained him to target it. I supposed it would've been easier to teach him to turn on/off the lights and cross his paws with it than using a sticky note..

I think once dogs are grown then it isn't that big of a deal. Our adult cats don't care for it, but our younger cat who was exposed to it as a kitten is nuts over it. Arkane also has a particular liking for it. When they catch it I make it go away so they think they got it.
[notify]

Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 7:51pm PST 
I never would have thought of such a thing, I might just borrow it from you wink
[notify]
Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 10:55am PST 
Cool! Sounds like it works as long as the dog isn't already conditioned to go crazy over it. I'll definitely look into this...
[notify]
Shadow

Lets GO

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 3:11pm PST 
It's not that they are conditioned to go crazy, some dogs just do. Test first with your dog.
[notify]