GO!

A curiosity with my puppy

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Terry

Barked: Tue Mar 26, '13 3:41pm PST 
Hello,i though that i should post this here and share my weird experience.

well,yesterday i went outside with him,in front of the house,that is,i do it a lot of times during the day,and he followed me,whenever i go. so,naturally the idea came to me,if i started to walk around the block,would he follow me?....My neighborhood had no exit,so,not many cars go around it,and there are a lot of dogs and always people.

and my adventure begun,he not only followed me everywhere,he greeted dogs and met some people,but not a single time he got distracted on following me as soon as i started to move. He walks by my side or a little behind me,never in front,and a lady commented today while i gave him his mini walk again,that he respects me. is this just "puppy behavior"and it will fade with age? or he really is respectful?... I'm curious about this,what do you think about it?

And. No,i DON't go near the outside of the neighborhood where there are lots of cars,only on leash,no,he doesn't bolt,and yes i keep him safe,and don't plan to always walk him like this if any problem arise.

I am making sure he meets and greets lots of dogs,does new things and meet new people of all ages and have new experiences smile. There is no law here in my country*only in some parks* about having them leashed,there is in fact a person who walks a very mellow dog around daily with no leash.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Mar 26, '13 4:05pm PST 
Very normal behavior for a young puppy. I wouldn't call it respect as much as being a baby and following his instinct to be near someone who can protect him in an unfamiliar place. Very likely as he gets older, he'll become bolder and begin to wander farther. Doesn't mean he'll cease to be a good off lead dog, although that may happen, but he probably won't always follow right in your shadow.
[notify]
Smokey

Let's play tug!!

Barked: Tue Mar 26, '13 7:27pm PST 
I agree, most puppies are followers and all things being equal it fades with time. You can use the puppy following instinct to develop a good recall- continue to make being near you fun and sometimes give rewards for coming when you call.
[notify]

Terry

Barked: Tue Mar 26, '13 10:26pm PST 
Well,he does come every single time i call him,is that because he is a puppy?. and most of the time other people at my house call him,and terry just ignores them,he responds to me,only,which i am a little proud of,but its not a good thing.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 12:02am PST 
I'd have to agree with the other posters here. Back when I was a teenager, our puppies would love to follow my mom around. I don't know, maybe it's because they feel that she protects them more than any of us would. And it was my mom who would usually give them their food, so you know, it could also have been that. laugh out loud
[notify]
Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 2:03am PST 
I agree with everyone else... Puppies usually grow out of that stage...

When I first took Skip out when he was ten weeks old, he wouldn't leave my side... That was a couple of weeks ago and he's already getting braver... I used to take him to my local park where I never used a leash (I'm in the UK, no leash laws) and he would never leave my side or Dexter's... But now, Skip thinks he can take on the world! He doesn't run off but he tends to think other dogs and people are as friendly as my family and their dogs...

I would just keep a leash handy when you are walking him... In case he does begin to get a bit braver puppy
[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 6:48am PST 
It's puppy... but work with it and reinforce it. If your goal is to have a confident dog that will walk at your side [leash unnecessary] under heavy distraction... do it! It is a great long-term training objective and you're off to a good start.
[notify]
Smokey

Let's play tug!!

Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 1:54pm PST 
Yup, the recall thing goes along with the following thing. It's stronger with you because she has a bond with you (and she may just be responding to body language rather than actually understanding what come means). Puppies are second in recall only to brand new rescue dogs, who you can usually sort of just glance at and maybe cluck a little and they will come tearing toward you at breakneck speed. Of course this fades when they realize you're not going to leave them anywhere laugh out loud
[notify]
Snoopy,- Mistur- Beegul

R I nod so- KYOOT?!

Barked: Sat Mar 30, '13 6:22pm PST 
I r ALWAYS geding teh Zoomies 'an wunning awound wike CWAZEE!!! snoopysnoopysnoopysnoopy
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sat Mar 30, '13 8:22pm PST 
I don't know from puppies since we always adopted adults, but it's definitely a behavior you want to keep re-enforcing with treats and lots of daily praise for recall. Take it as a wonderful bond of trust, inside or out Sophie is never more than 10ft away from me, by her choice...even when she dashes after deer she still comes back instantly, and she's well into middle age.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2