GO!

Help! Very Mouthy Young Adult Pit!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Barked: Sat Mar 23, '13 8:48am PST 
Hi!

I'm fostering a pit mix who is around 18 months old. She's a good dog, but I'm getting very frustrated with her almost constant mouthing. She has every chew toy, bone, hoof, antler, or kong you can imagine. When she does chew on these, she's great, but when she's not, she's trying to chew on my hands or feet. When I'm able to hide my hands, she goes for anything else - my arm, neck, ears, nose, face.

I've tried ignoring her, placing toys in her mouth and walking away, but it gets very frustrating and exhausting when it goes on for hours at a time. I'm writing this standing at my kitchen counter because she won't let me sit on my couch and relax.

Any new ideas would be great! I don't know what else to do to break this habit!

Edited by author Sat Mar 23, '13 8:57am PST

[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Sun Mar 24, '13 8:39pm PST 
This sounds kinda complicated. This dog sounds like she has a lot of energy. It also appears you are trying to redirect the dog's mouthing to the toy which is a good training method.

I think kongs are nifty. What are you doing with yours? Some dogs can get the stuffings out quickly. One thing I would do is fill it up with very tasty canned dog food. Then block the opening with ice cubes, then freeze it. You can try blocking it with dog biscuits too. Whenever your dog plays with the toys or chews on the appropriate things praise her.

Also what kind of things do you do with the dog? She may need more exercise to drain some of her energy. What she is doing is playing with you, but rudely. Does she fetch? can you take her swimming? Have you been walking her regularly? If you can I would run her and then try obedience training her afterwards.

Have you taken any classes with her or tried training her? These activities can help your dog focus on you in a more constructive way. She sounds like a wild beast with no direction.
[notify]