GO!

PULLING......good. flipping. grief......

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2  
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Sun Mar 24, '13 4:18pm PST 
Have you tried a specialized tool?

No pull harnesses are effective in controlling pulling. Also head collars like the Halti or the Gentle Leader are good for controlling pullers. I know this behavior can be frustrating and painful for the handler. Using something other than a traditional collar can make this easier to manage and train.

I also think Sanka's advice is good too. Dogs like these often need more intense exercise. Pullers often need an outlet for their strong desires to pull. You could use this for your advantage in skate joring or ski joring.
[notify]
Treasure

Barked: Mon Mar 25, '13 10:07am PST 
Milton - I don't believe in head halters (I think they are incredibly dangerous, especially when dealing with a lunger/leaper like she is) and she's far too young for any sort of pulling at this point. I do think she's getting as much exercise as she can safely get at this point so that's thankfully not a concern smile

The other advice given about holding a treat close to her snoot to focus her while she's walking instead of trying to treat for a heel after the fact was GOLDEN. She is doing 99% better. Still rough going when she's first outside and really excited but otherwise on leash in the house the lunging has all but ceased completely.

We've also worked on curbing some of her more obnoxious play behaviors (like her relentless persistence, taking others out at the legs and leaping on top of her playmates non-stop) and as a result over the weekend she become best friends with Hoyt of all dogs! They play with each other beautifully now that she isn't being so pestery which Trigger is thrilled with, the poor old boy has certainly been grateful for the reprieve laugh out loud

Edited by author Mon Mar 25, '13 10:18am PST

[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Mar 25, '13 11:14am PST 
Thank goodness it helped!! Using the treat like a carrot for a horse like that is a PITA, BUT, it usually works for those desperate cases that also like to eat!! Sadly, for those who don't like the treats it isn't much help.
She sounds like she didn't have much of a childhood, poor thing! I always love it when those kind finally learn how to play respectfully.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2