GO!

Dogs that know 100 tricks but can't loose-leash walk?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 3 of 6: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  
Shadow

Lets GO

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 1:54am PST 
Smokey and Milton, I want to move to your worldlaugh out loud
I have a male that took to obedience like a star, give him a command and he's ON IT. Doesn't have a lick of common sense and after 9 years with me would take food out of my mouth, literally, if he thought he could get away with it.
I have a female that for the life of me I don't remember training who is just GOOD, all the time at everything. Who would tell me to get stuffed if I asked for a trick, and who succeeded as a certified protection dog and my partner for almost 9 years, with a stellar and yet unmatched reputation.
And then there is Shadow, who struggles with simple things but can master complex patterns in a wink. Who still can't grasp that it's not ok to climb on the counter but knows its rude to bother me when I'm eating. Who gets wait to get in the car but doesn't get that it's not funny to do cartwheels on leash.
If life was the way you describe it I would have 3 Sabis, and not a Sabi, a Buddy and a Shadow. And then I would probably be boredlaugh out loudAnd just out of curiosity, do either of you have siblings?

Edited by author Wed Mar 20, '13 1:55am PST

[notify]
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 4:02am PST 
Shadow big laugh

I would love to have had three Rocky's... That would be so amazing! But then again, I love the individual characters of my dogs...

I used to get very funny looks walking down the street with Rocky and Dexter. Rocky walking perfectly at my side on leash, no tension at all and Dexter almost choking himself trying to get to the destination as quick as possible puppy
Both had perfect recall but Rocky would slowly trot back to me and Dexter would charge at 100 mph and almost take me out as he skidded to a halt at the last minute...
Rocky would bring the ball back, drop it at my feet and wait patiently whilst sitting, for me to throw it again... Dexter would drop the ball at my feet and take off at full speed across the field in anticipation of the throw puppy
Rocky would sit at my feet and ask permission to get on the sofa by placing his head on it and looking at me, he wouldn't jump onto it until I said 'okay, up'... Dexter gets all into your face, climbing on your lap and slowly sneaks up before realising he doesn't like it on the sofa and jumping back down...
If Rocky ever picked anything up off the floor and I told him to drop it, he would straight away.. Dexter, on the other hand, thinks it is then a game and will run around before swallowing whatever he has in his mouth :o/
I could go on forever about how different the two dogs were lol...

But the best, yet weirdest part?... Rocky's behaviour was totally natural... I never really trained him to do any of those things. He just did it...
Dexter?... I'm still training with him every day since the day I got him... He's a challenging BC that is so intelligent, he knows he has his own mind puppy

You know how you always have that one dog? THE dog that shapes you as a dog owner and a person and spoils all other dogs for you? Lol... Rocky was mine puppy

His tricks were very limited though lol...

It turns out, my eleven week old Parson Russell terrier is the best when it comes to trick training puppy
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 6:01am PST 
Loose leash walking is a trick. wink

My philosophy is it's all tricks . . .. if you approach whatever you want to teach your dog like you're having fun and it's going to be rewarding for the dog.

This person you're talking about with the 100 tricks obviously isn't herself motivated by the ordinary day to day skills that make life easier with dogs, but that's her deal. Although, I don't think I'd put myself forward as a dog trainer if I couldn't help people with the dog training 101 basics.
[notify]

Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 6:23am PST 
bump.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 6:44am PST 
It's not stupidity, it's just that I don't care. He likes to be out front and I really just don't care. I know he's gonna tire and flop back by my side in the end, anyway. shrug Plus it's an incentive for me to move my lazy butt and run.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 7:40am PST 
Well I have to say I'm a little insulted Smokey. You know not all dogs are the same right? I worked HARD on getting Jewel to LLW all I managed was to get her to stop running to the end of the leash after every stop & go. And I know I was training it correctly because when I used the "just stand there until they stop pulling" method on my foster dogs it worked. It does not work on Jewel, I have stood there until I had to lean against a tree my feet were getting tired, she SITS when I stop with TENSION still on the leash, WTH do you do with that??
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 8:03am PST 
I agree with Augusta. Training is training, whether it's LLW or playing dead.

Some dogs naturally do what we want without any sort of training at all. For instance, mine has never jumped up on a stranger in her life. Most need training, but they do better when it's fun for them.

Lupi can walk super well when I ask her to. I taught her using the method Asher has on her page. But much of the time I don't really care where she is, as long as she's not pulling. So someone may assume she's not trained if they saw me walking her, but I can call her into a heel easily.

We all have different things that are important to us. For me, I expect my dog to have an awesome recall and be polite when greeting other dogs. I don't really care when I see a dog walking its owner, instead of the other way around. My personal pet peeve is that 90% of the dogs in our off-leash parks seem to have no recall at all!
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 8:32am PST 
Jewel, that isn't to say, different dogs don't have different sticky points. wink

That could be a good case where the technique that works for one dog to get the idea doesn't work for another . . . . I've never tried the be a tree method, but I would think it has drawbacks vs. just starting with straight up luring the dog with food, which is what got us there--that and learning focus for looking at me and leave its (for the squirrels) . . ..

And that's true Lupi, Gus doesn't always look like she's loose leash walking, but she comes back when I ask--and a stranger walking her, might not know to ask. But then again, my friend's Boston Terrier comes back when you call him too and he's had no formal training --so go figure! big grin

I've been trying to get Gus to sneeze on cue for years . . . she does it sometimes, but never would dependably get that it was the sneeze I wanted--sometimes she'd change to a grumble or "indoor voice". Finally, she does it about 70% reliably . . .. laugh out loud
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 8:47am PST 
I found the "stopping and acting like a tree method", totally useless and frustrating! That never worked for my two either. I had to have some back breaking lessons in teaching Missy to LLW and what i mean by back breaking is i had to be stooped over, treating her and holding a treat above her nose to get her to stay by my side. As we progressed i didn't need to stoop anymore and i could just have my hand placed kind of above my hip instead relieved It is more difficult i think teaching small dogs to heel/LLW.
[notify]
Baby

What'd you say?- I wasn't- listening.

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 9:29am PST 
But Bella & Daisy, that training DOES matter because she trains other people's dogs and she better be able to teach her own before making people pay up. It's not that she doesn't want to teach it, it's that she fails horribly at it. I agree with Smokey in regards to her and a lot of other people I've met; they aren't putting the time and diligence into it. The way she tries to stop jumping is letting an air horn go off when the dog leaps. It deafens me but the dog doesn't care -- seriously? I'd be slightly embarrassed if I worked as a dog trainer and couldn't bring even one of my dogs to work (she has said she would enjoy bringing them).

I like to look at everything, as Augusta said, as a trick too.

As for methods, I tried the stopping and going and turning around ones and they were just a pain in the butt for me and my dogs -- I stuck with it for three weeks and it just plain didn't work. Baby did better with a sort of "touch" where he followed my hand at first and for Chaplin Asher's video was totally awesome and he's doing great with it.

Edited by author Wed Mar 20, '13 9:37am PST

[notify]
  (Page 3 of 6: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6